A pile of construction debris at 101 E. Marine View Drive, as photographed by Everett officials in 2013. This photo was included in code enforcement records.

A pile of construction debris at 101 E. Marine View Drive, as photographed by Everett officials in 2013. This photo was included in code enforcement records.

Site of warehouse blaze has history of code violations

  • By Rikki King and Eric Stevick Herald Writers
  • Monday, June 6, 2016 6:06pm
  • Local NewsEverett

EVERETT — Just last week, the Everett Fire Department alerted all of its crews to potential trouble at a warehouse near the mouth of the Snohomish River.

Woody materials stored inside the concrete building caught fire twice last week before Saturday’s three-alarm blaze. The tenant was supposed to have an around-the-clock fire watch over the weekend. That didn’t happen.

The 7-acre parcel at 101 E. Marine View Drive has a long history of regulatory problems.

Various tenants have run operations there over the years, leasing the land from a holding company set up by a longtime Everett family. Garbage, piles of debris and questionable environmental practices have drawn rebukes from city code enforcement officers and the Snohomish Health District, public records show.

At least two former tenants were named in an ongoing multimillion-dollar lawsuit by the property owner over the cost of cleanup, rent and repairs — from before the fire. The health district also successfully sued one of the tenants in 2014 to shut them down over waste violations.

The fire that started Saturday evening continued to burn Monday. In its first two hours, it generated 94 calls to 911.

Firefighters hope to extinguish the last of the flames sometime Tuesday, Everett Fire Marshal Eric Hicks said.

They were using heavy equipment to spread the smoldering piles and tear down the remnants of walls.

“We’re making good progress on it,” he said. “It’s just a massive overhaul process.”

There was no word Monday on a damage estimate but it likely will reach seven figures. The cause remains under investigation, and it’s not yet clear if the fire and last week’s flames were related, Hicks said.

“We want to make sure we interview everybody,” he said. “We want to rule out everything.”

The warehouse building was destroyed. Next-door neighbor Everett Engineering suffered fire damage on one wall but was back open for business Monday, Hicks said.

Before the big blaze, firefighters had planned to meet with the current tenants to find out what was causing the earlier fires and “why they had that much material of that type inside the building,” Hicks said.

He described the debris as dirty wood with a fire hazard akin to bark and compost. Last week, the business was told the materials were not safe to keep inside. The issue “was on our radar,” Hicks said Monday.

Late last week, the second fire damaged the building’s fire sprinklers and the city ordered the fire watch.

“Unfortunately, the person on fire-watch duty temporarily left the building on Saturday night, and it appears that that’s when the fire broke out,” Hicks said.

Despite its ferocity and impressive plume, the fire is not considered a public health risk. The Snohomish Health District, state Department of Ecology and federal Environmental Protection Agency have been monitoring air quality.

State records show at least three tenants since 2013: Busy Beaver recycling, Hungry Buzzard recycling and a company called Eco Fuel, which is owned by the Rubatino family. The company did not return a phone call Monday.

Busy Beaver was shut down after a 2014 Snohomish Health District lawsuit. Busy Beaver and Hungry Buzzard shared at least one owner, a man with a Mill Creek address, state records show.

The recycling companies rented space from the property owners, a holding company called Blunt Family LLC. The holding company filed a lawsuit in 2015 to force tenants to help with the clean-up, as well as to collect money for damages to the site and unpaid fees.

In March, a judge ruled against one of the Busy Beaver business partners and told the property owners to report back with what amounted to a bill. The plaintiff said in court papers filed May 26 that “an appropriate judgment,” including triple damages, would exceed $12 million.

Cory Burke manages the holding company.

“We are devastated about the loss of our building,” he said in an email Monday. “We are extremely grateful that nobody was injured.”

Citing the ongoing investigation, Burke said, “we have no further comments at this time.”

In the lawsuit, the family alleged that the earlier tenants left behind “mountains of unseparated construction debris, unsorted recyclables, unground materials and other garbage.”

“…The refuse and debris was piled nearly to the roof in various places and covered at least 70 percent of the more than 90,000 square feet” available, court papers said.

Also left behind were thousands of tons of ground asphalt shingles. The cost to properly dispose of the asphalt shingles alone was estimated at $1.2 million.

How much of the debris remained on site when the fire occurred was not immediately known, said Heather Thomas, a spokeswoman for the Snohomish Health District.

In February, a health district inspector visited the site. The new company on the site is operating what is called a “material recovery facility” and was meeting regulatory requirements, Thomas said.

Among other things, Busy Beaver ran into trouble during health district inspections for having refuse on the ground near the shoreline. Regulators were concerned that garbage-fouled runoff could get into the river.

Much of the debris was moved indoors.

Separately, Busy Beaver and Hungry Buzzard have been the focus of inquiries by the city of Everett’s code enforcement department.

The department opened three cases at that location between 2012 and 2013, supervisor Kevin Fagerstrom said. All three cases involved debris storage. All were resolved without enforcement action, he said.

The problems involved how the place looked, not health or safety, he said.

“These are materials that are either supposed to be inside a structure or screened from public view,” he said. “They were piling up their construction debris in a fashion that exceeded the conditions of their permit.”

A May 2013 inspection found that materials were being stored too close to the shoreline, among other problems. By December 2013, the tenant had moved out of sight 75 percent of the materials that were causing problems outdoors, according to city enforcement documents obtained by The Herald under state public records laws.

In summer 2014, code enforcement followed up on site, writing in an internal email: “Things look OK.”

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Marysville firefighters respond to a 12-year-old boy who fell down a well Tuesday May 30, 2023 in Marysville, Washington. (Photo provided by Marysville Fire District)
Marysville firefighters save boy who fell 20 feet into well

The 12-year-old child held himself up by grabbing on to a plastic pipe while firefighters worked to save him.

Highway 9 is set to be closed in both directions for a week as construction crews build a roundabout at the intersection with Vernon Road. (Washington State Department of Transportation)
Weeklong closure coming to Highway 9 section in Lake Stevens

Travelers should expect delays or find another way from Friday to Thursday between Highway 204 and Lundeen Parkway.

Students arriving off the bus get in line to score some waffles during a free pancake and waffle breakfast at Lowell Elementary School on Friday, May 26, 2023, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
800 free pancakes at Everett’s Lowell Elementary feed the masses

The annual breakfast was started to connect the community and the school, as well as to get people to interact.

Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring speaks at the groundbreaking event for the I-5/SR 529 Interchange project on Tuesday, May 23, 2023 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
$123M project starting on Highway 529 interchange, I-5 HOV lane

A reader wondered why the highway had a lane closure despite not seeing work done. Crews were waiting on the weather.

Justin Bell was convicted earlier this month of first-degree assault for a December 2017 shooting outside a Value Village in Everett. (Caleb Hutton / Herald file)
Court: Snohomish County jurors’ opaque masks didn’t taint verdict

During the pandemic, Justin Bell, 32, went on trial for a shooting. Bell claims his right to an impartial jury was violated.

Gary Fontes uprights a tree that fell over in front of The Fontes Manor — a miniature handmade bed and breakfast — on Friday, May 12, 2023, at his home near Silver Lake in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Everett’s mini-Frank Lloyd Wright builds neighborhood of extra tiny homes

A tiny lighthouse, a spooky mansion and more: Gary Fontes’ miniature world of architectural wonders is one-twelfth the size of real life.

Will Steffener
Inslee appoints Steffener as Superior Court judge

Attorney Will Steffener will replace Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Janice Ellis, who is retiring in June.

The M/V Puyallup docks at the Edmonds waterfront on Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020 in Edmonds. The ferry along with the passenger loading walkway were struck by lightning last week. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Tune in for virtual meeting on Edmonds-Kingston ferry

The series of Washington State Ferries meetings are for updates and public comment. A recording is available online.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Mountlake Terrace in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Lawsuit: Defective inhaler led to death of Mountlake Terrace man

Pharmaceutical company Perrigo recalled inhalers in September 2020. Months earlier, Antonio Fritz Sr. picked one up at a pharmacy.

Most Read