LAKE STEVENS — The cause of a fire that killed a 6-month-old baby girl and left her family homeless remains undetermined.
The Snohomish County medical examiner has determined that the girl killed early Friday in the fire died of asphyxia from inhaling smoke.
The girl’s name was withheld until today, and her mother asked that authorities not identify the family.
The baby’s 22-year-old mother awoke about 6:22 a.m. to the sound of a smoke alarm at their home in the 4100 block of 139th Avenue NE and managed to get her 2-year-old son out but was unable to get to the baby before the rapidly spreading fire filled the house with heat, smoke and flames.
Snohomish County Deputy Fire Marshal Ed Hardesty said investigators are looking at some wiring and some countertop appliances in the area where the fire began as possible causes.
The mobile home and the family’s belongings were insured, Hardesty said.
Leann Leverington, a friend and co-worker at Delta Rehabilitation Center in Snohomish, opened a benefit account at Washington Mutual bank. Donations may be made at any branch.
As he fled the bank, the robber dumped a leather jacket, a stocking cap, gloves and sweat pants in a nearby garbage bin.
Police ask anyone who recognizes the robber or knows his identity to call the Everett Police Department tip line at 425-257-8450.