MUKILTEO — Prepare for Washington State Ferries to nickel and dime you.
Passengers will notice an increase in fares on Sunday.
In some cases, the pinch is only 10 cents.
On the Mukilteo-Clinton route, the senior rate jumps from $2.90 to $3. The adult passenger fare goes from $5.80 to $6.
The increase on the Edmonds-Clinton run is 40 cents for passengers, going from $9.45 to $9.85, with seniors paying 20 cents more to bring the price to $4.90.
Ages 18 and under ride free on all routes.
The 4.25% increase stems from the state transportation budget passed by the Legislature this year, requiring $419 million to be generated from fares over the two-year budget timeframe, 2023 to 2025. Fares fund 57% of ferry operations, with the remaining 43% from other statewide tax revenues. Capital costs, such as ferries and terminals, are 100% funded from statewide tax revenues.
For vehicle fares, news of an increase might be confusing, because Sunday also ends the 25% peak season vehicle surcharge. So the off-peak price for the car and driver will actually go down, but is higher than it would be without the fare increase.
Splurge in the galley for now. The peak season vehicle surcharge resumes May 1, 2024.
So save your spare change.
Fares will increase again by 4.25% in October 2024.
Buying multi-ride tickets can save a few bucks, but have an expiration date. Buying tickets online will save time at the toll gate.