EVERETT — A woman was injured, two dogs died and seven people were displaced after a duplex fire Friday afternoon south of Everett.
Half of the two-story building was in flames when firefighters arrived at about 4:10 p.m., said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1. The fire was at a complex in the 700 block of Center Road.
The Snohomish County fire marshal determined the fire started when an electric heating element in a stove ignited nearby cardboard boxes. The damage is estimated at $175,000.
Firefighters from Everett, Lynnwood, and districts 1 and 7 tamped down the blaze in about 20 minutes but continued putting out hot spots for several hours. One woman was hurt and taken to the emergency room at Swedish Mill Creek with injuries that did not appear to be life threatening. Two boys also were treated at the duplex. The family lived in one of the units.
The American Red Cross and Support 7 are providing help for those who were displaced, among them four children.