Gerry Gibson holds a T-shirt in 2017 bearing his family’s non-profit company message and logo, with “Gibby” and his dog Nino as the heroes. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

Gerry Gibson holds a T-shirt in 2017 bearing his family’s non-profit company message and logo, with “Gibby” and his dog Nino as the heroes. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

‘It doesn’t bring our son back,’ but they got lawmakers to act

They lost him in a fire, so a Sultan couple fought for a stricter smoke alarm law.

OLYMPIA — A Sultan couple’s passion and determination is making the state more aggressive in ensuring owners of rental properties put smoke alarms in their units and face consequences when they don’t.

Gerry and Bonnie Gibson stood alongside Gov. Jay Inslee on Tuesday as he signed a bill intended to boost the number of smoke detectors installed in rental dwellings and single-family homes. It also calls for fines of up to $5,000 if there is damage or deaths as a result of a fire in a rental unit without a device.

Enactment of Senate Bill 5284 concluded a three-year legislative mission begun after the death of their son, Greg “Gibby” Gibson, in a house fire in Shoreline in January 2016. That rental house did not have smoke alarms.

“We made it. It’s a wonderful end to our journey,” Gerry Gibson said moments after the bill signing. “We’re going to have more smoke alarms out there. We’re going to save lives.”

The couple presented the governor and First Lady Trudi Inslee with T-shirts emblazoned with “Smoke Alarms Save Lives,” the motto of the Gibsons’ nonprofit which installs smoke alarms for free. The shirts also have images of their son and his dog, Nino, as the heroes.

Bonnie Gibson described the bill signing as a bittersweet moment.

Greg “Gibby” Gibson, a musician, died in a house fire in Shoreline on Jan. 8, 2016. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

Greg “Gibby” Gibson, a musician, died in a house fire in Shoreline on Jan. 8, 2016. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

“It doesn’t bring our son back,” she said. “Hopefully we’ll prevent some families from going through what we’ve gone through.”

Sen. Marko Liias, D-Lynnwood, who attended Kamiak High School at the same time as the Gibsons’ son, authored the Senate bill. Rep. Carolyn Eslick, R-Sultan, sponsored companion legislation in the House.

State law already requires smoke detection devices be installed in dwelling units built or manufactured in this state after Dec. 31, 1980. The law has required they be installed in all occupied units as well and says property owners and tenants can be fined $200 if they fail to keep a smoke alarm in working order.

The new law adds landlords and property sellers to those who could be fined $200 for not maintaining a smoke detection device.

It also contains a requirement that following any property sale, the seller must make sure there is at least one smoke detection device installed before the buyer or any other person can move in.

A property owner faces a $5,000 fine if they fail to install a smoke detection device and a fire causes property damage, personal injury, or death to a tenant or a member of a tenant’s household. Fire authorities are tasked with enforcing this provision.

Money from fines is to be deposited in a new Smoke Detection Device Awareness Account overseen by the state fire marshal. Those dollars will be used to raise awareness of the importance smoke alarms play in public safety.

Eslick cited the Gibsons’ perseverance as critical to reaching the finish line after three sessions of coming up short.

“It took a couple years to make it a priority for legislative leaders,” she said. “I thought it was going to be tough this year. But they have the passion and that’s what it takes to have a bill passed.”

The new law will be known as the Greg “Gibby” Gibson Home Fire Safety Act.

Jerry Cornfield: 360-352-8623; jcornfield@herald net.com. Twitter: @dospueblos.

Get a free smoke alarm

The American Red Cross provides smoke alarms for free to those who cannot afford them. And they install them for those who are physically unable to do so.

You can make requests online at GetASmokeAlarm.org.

Gibby Home Fire Prevention, a nonprofit formed by Gerry and Bonnie Gibson, also provide and install smoke alarms at no cost.

You can make requests through their website, www.gibbyhomefireprevention.org.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Hay Look Me Over, a Biewer terrier, with her handler, Molly Speckhardt, left, and owner Lynn McKee, of Lake Stevens. The 2-year-old terrier won a Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show ribbon for second, or next best, among the girls in her class. (Submitted photo)
Hairy Lake Stevens pooch wins classy ribbon at Westminster

Hay Look Me Over competed in the new class of Biewer terriers. A Pekingese stole the whole show.

DanVo'nique Bletson-Reed, president of the Snohomish County Black Heritage Committee, was given the Everett Community College Diversity and Equity Center's Malcolm X Day 2021 Community Awareness Award. (Snohomish County Black Heritage Committee)
EvCC recognizes SnoCo Black Heritage Committee leader

The Everett Community College Diversity and Equity Center bestowed DanVo’nique Bletson-Reed with… Continue reading

Jackson Emerick, 4, of Shoreline, tosses candy out to crowds lining Main Street in downtown Edmonds during the Edmonds Kind of Fourth Parade on Tuesday. (Ian Terry / The Herald)
Edmonds needs entries for July 4 parade or it may not happen

“An Edmonds Kind of 4th” parade is at risk of being cancelled if there aren’t more entries by June 21.

Lake Stevens High School graduate Madelynn Coe will be attending Northeastern University and participating in a study abroad program in Greece her first semester. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Madelynn Coe spent senior year helping others learn online

The pandemic changed everything for the class of 2021. For one young woman, it was a time to give back.

Jude Jackson, a senior at Crossroads High School, on Friday, April 23, 2021 in Granite Falls, Wash. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Jude Jackson changed schools, went to the top of his class

He is the first in his family to graduate from high school, an achievement he described as “surreal.”

Arnav Sood, senior ASB president at Henry M. Jackson High School, on Thursday, April 22, 2021 in Mill Creek, Wash. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Arnav Sood pushed hard to include others, even in a pandemic

The Jackson High student body president led his peers through uncertain times.

Amanda Brown, a senior at Darrington High School, will be attending WSU in the fall as the first person in her family to attend college. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Amanda Brown loves science, her hometown and her chickens

This Darrington grad is a first-generation college student who will always remember her roots.

Mariner High School graduate Careana Willis raises her diploma in the air Saturday as she walks back to her seat during graduation at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Graduate celebrates her accomplishment

Mariner High School graduate Careana Willis raises her diploma in the air… Continue reading

Supporters march Wednesday afternoon across from Providence Medical Center in Everett on May 5, 2021. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Everett nurses threaten to strike as contract talks stall

Union leaders say Providence’s latest offer includes low wages and cuts to benefits and paid leave.

Most Read