Officers with the Everett Police Department tactical unit enter an apartment building in the 4600 block of Fowler Avenue on Wednesday in Everett. A six-hour standoff at the building might have been the result of a misunderstanding, as there was no evidence a woman had been held against her will as initially reported, Everett police officer Aaron Snell said. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Officers with the Everett Police Department tactical unit enter an apartment building in the 4600 block of Fowler Avenue on Wednesday in Everett. A six-hour standoff at the building might have been the result of a misunderstanding, as there was no evidence a woman had been held against her will as initially reported, Everett police officer Aaron Snell said. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

6-hour SWAT standoff ends with lots of unanswered questions

A man suspected of kidnapping was released after there was no evidence he’d committed that crime.

EVERETT — A six-hour standoff in Everett on Wednesday, complete with heavily armed SWAT team members, may have been the result of a misunderstanding.

A man who was suspected of kidnapping a woman was released after police determined there was no evidence he’d committed that crime, Everett police officer Aaron Snell said.

Police now believe the woman who reportedly said she was held against her will actually may have been free to leave.

Detectives were left with more questions than answers. They still were piecing together what happened late Wednesday.

It all began with what initially was reported as a disturbance call. Neighbors saw a woman screaming for help, Snell said.

The man, 45, and woman, 27, had attended a party Tuesday night. The man reportedly brought the woman back to his apartment in the 4600 block of Fowler Avenue afterward.

She left around 8 a.m., which is when neighbors spotted her and called police thinking she needed assistance. The initial call suggested potential domestic violence.

The woman provided a statement to officers when they arrived, Snell said. She declined to talk with officers later, he said.

The SWAT team was called when the man refused to leave his apartment. Police worried that he may have had access to weapons. A stretch of 47th Street SE was blocked off to the public.

SWAT eventually went into the apartment and the man surrendered. He was interviewed by detectives and later released.

Detectives say more investigation is necessary to clarify whether any laws were broken.

Donald Tysor, 60, was told it wasn’t safe yet to return to his apartment Wednesday morning. He lives in the same building.

Tysor had tried to return home around 11 a.m. with bags of groceries. He found it strange when he passed a church parking lot full of patrol cars. He proceeded to drive down his street and was met by more officers.

Tysor had to turn around. He bought a cooler and some ice for his groceries, and spent the afternoon in the library.

He has lived near Forest Park for more than 20 years. It’s usually pretty quiet, he said.

Caitlin Tompkins: 425-339-3192; ctompkins@heraldnet.com.

More in Local News

Separate suspected DUI, hit-and-run crashes hospitalize 4

Emergency responders were busy Saturday night after three collisions across Lynnwood.

A new $20 shuttle begins runs from Monroe to Stevens Pass

Overcrowded parking in the ski area and heavy traffic on U.S. 2 prompted the new weekend service.

Marysville Little League president sentenced for theft

A forensic audit found Leo Carlos, 50, could not account for more than $71,000 of league money.

Looking back: 1930s WPA project transformed Forest Park

A public works program is responsible for much of what exists today.

County seeks federal aid after recent floods and landslides

If your home or business was damaged, you could help the state qualify for disaster assistance.

A resident uses an ATV to navigate the washed out and crumbling road bed of 260th Ave NE leading to Skyview Estate in Monroe on February 13, 2020. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Neighborhood near Monroe still scrambling after mudslide

Inspectors found new cracks in the road Thursday. The county says one home may be unsafe to occupy.

Dental records confirm identity of remains found in Tulalip

Jacob Hilkin, 24, of Everett, had been missing since 2018.

photos by Dan Bates / The Herald 
                                WSDOT spokeswoman Diane Rhodes talks with reporters and photojournalists at the passenger terminal under construction at Mukilteo on Thursday.
Passenger building offers glimpse of Mukilteo ferry terminal

The new facility connecting Mukilteo and Whidbey Island is expected to open in October or November.

Everett’s new passenger terminal gets some national love

Paine Field was voted 8th-best among a selection of small airports, some of which aren’t all that small.

Most Read