Aaron Lemmon, 31, was stabbed in the back with a sword at a Marysville home. His girlfriend was charged with domestic violence assault in the first degree. (Courtesy of Janie McCombs)

Aaron Lemmon, 31, was stabbed in the back with a sword at a Marysville home. His girlfriend was charged with domestic violence assault in the first degree. (Courtesy of Janie McCombs)

Sword narrowly missed man’s heart in Marysville stabbing

Aaron Lemmon’s fiancee is charged with stabbing him in the back with a 25-inch sword.

MARYSVILLE — If the sword had sliced into Aaron Lemmon’s back just millimeters to the right, it would’ve cut open his heart. Instead he lost about half of his left lung.

Lemmon had come home, eaten dinner and watched cartoons with his toddler son Jan. 25, according to new charges against his fiancée. She spent the evening in a bedroom at their home on Grove Street. Lemmon reportedly put the kids to bed and told his partner he was going to sleep, too.

First, he went to grab some milk in the kitchen. As he reached for a cup, she stabbed him in the back with a 25-inch sword, according to his report to police. Lemmon followed her to the bedroom, begging her to call 911. She sat on the bed with the weapon, he later told police. The last thing he recalled was looking for his shoes, so he could go to the hospital. He passed out. Police believe the fiancée, 31, waited about an hour to call 911.

“My boyfriend was trying to kill me and I stabbed him,” she told the dispatcher, according to court papers.

Marysville police officers found Lemmon bloodied, pale and unconscious, face down, halfway in the closet. The wound to his back was below the armpit.

The fiancée told police they’d gotten into a fight. He made her feel bad, she reported, so she’d gone to the kitchen and came back to find him destroying her jewelry. She yelled at him and he punched her, according to her report. Police asked her how many times she got punched. She didn’t know. She stated she fell backward and hit her head on a dresser. She happened to see the sword nearby, grabbed it and stabbed Lemmon’s back, she told officers. She reported he went to the kitchen, stood there for a moment and walked back to the bedroom where he collapsed.

Police doubted her story.

Detectives believed the man was defenseless when he was attacked. The sword’s sheath was in the bedroom. The weapon was leaning against a high chair in the kitchen.

The fiancée had scratches on her face. As a detective began to swab them for DNA, she admitted those injuries were self-inflicted, according to police.

Lemmon underwent emergency surgery. He remained in the hospital for days and he’s still recovering. He’s unable to hold up his left arm, possibly due to nerve damage, his mother, Janie McCombs, said.

The fiancée was booked into jail for investigation of domestic violence assault in the first degree.

From jail, the fiancée tried to call Lemmon Jan. 26, charging papers say. A no-contact order was entered at 1 p.m. Jan. 28. She tried to call again that day at 4:15 p.m. Her calls went unanswered.

Two children, an infant and a 2 year old, were taken into the custody of Child Protective Services. Lemmon has been able to visit them twice a week, his mother said. His family went public with his identity and his account of that night, setting up an online fundraiser to support him.

Court papers in past civil cases show the woman suffered a brain injury over a decade ago in a car crash. She’d been diagnosed with mental health disorders, and struggled with addictions to heroin and methadone. Two years ago, during a child custody feud, Lemmon wrote that whenever she stopped taking her medications it would alter her mood “in ways that are horrible making her angry all of the time.”

Her bail was set at $500,000 in late January.

The defense tried to lower that number when she was arraigned on Valentine’s Day. The motion was denied.

Caleb Hutton: 425-339-3454; chutton@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @snocaleb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Traffic’s creeping back and some transit to collect fares again

Community Transit and Sound Transit are set to resume fares June 1, but not Everett Transit.

Neil Hubbard plays the bagpipes in front of a memorial at Floral Hills cemetery in Lynnwood Monday morning. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Memorial Day tradition continues in Lynnwood amid pandemic

Loved ones placed flags at Floral Hills cemetery as bagpipes played in the distance Monday morning.

COVID-19 and domestic violence

Public Health Essentials! A blog by the Snohomish Health District.

Counting COVID deaths isn’t as simple as you might think

State relies on results of tests and death certificates in calculating the daily toll of the disease.

Stillaguamish Tribe gives $1M to food banks, fire services

“I had to do a double take,” said the director of the Stanwood Camano Food Bank, which received $300,000.

Island County gets go-ahead for Phase 2 of reopening economy

People can gather in groups five or fewer. Some businesses can open, if they follow guidelines.

The town the virus seemed to miss: No cases counted in Index

Some in the town of 175 fear outsiders could bring in the virus. Others just want things to get back to normal.

Worst jobless rate in the state: Snohomish County at 20.2%

In April, 91,383 were unemployed in the county. The aerospace sector was hit especially hard.

Boeing worker accused of murder after Everett party shooting

Police say the suspect, 35, made sexual advances and opened fire when he was turned down.

Most Read