Training helped Washington man survive

In a flash, the world turned white.

Snow covered Nick Gleim’s eyes, blinding him. It filled his ears, deafening him. And it forced its way down his throat and into his lungs, choking him.

Death, he knew, was a few seconds away.

“So I prayed,” he said last week, “and I fought like hell.”

Gleim’s extraordinary struggle for survival last month seems surreal to the 24-year-old Puyallup native and Iraq war veteran.

A friend, Luke Hoffman, and Gleim were enjoying a day of backcountry skiing in Chugach State Park near Eagle River, Alaska, on March 9 when they were caught in a massive avalanche.

The avalanche didn’t give Gleim much of a chance to react. He witnessed the snow beginning to slide several feet downslope from his skis. He screamed, “Avalanche!” before it swallowed him.

The force knocked away his skis, poles and gloves. As long as the avalanche was moving, he knew he had a chance to survive.

“Once it stops,” he said, “it becomes like concrete. After 15 minutes, there’s a 50-50 chance you’ll live. After an hour, it’s a body search.”

Gleim, a staff sergeant and Arabic linguist with the 4th Brigade, 25th Infantry Division at Fort Richardson near Anchorage, didn’t panic once he realized he was in a slide. He credits mountain-survival courses and Army training, which he said forced him to make quick decisions in shifting and dangerous scenarios.

The training also forced him to be realistic. The snow was crushing his body. It was suffocating him. He knew he was likely living his last minutes.

Gleim prayed, and he made swimming motions toward the surface.

After about 45 seconds, his head popped above the snow. The avalanche continued for about another 30 seconds. Shortly before the slide set, snow overwhelmed all but Gleim’s left arm and face.

He dug himself out and took a survey of his location. The avalanche had moved him 2,500 feet. Gleim offered a prayer of thanks and a prayer of hope that Hoffman would survive.

Both were wearing locator beacons, and Gleim switched his setting from transmit to receive. He screamed his friend’s name and searched for him. Hoffman, further up the mountain, was also searching for his friend.

The two met up a few minutes later — Hoffman had managed to escape being swallowed by the snow — and walked to the nearest house, where the couple who lived there served them hot chocolate and snacks. That night, they met friends for some well-deserved pizza and beer.

Gleim hasn’t returned to backcountry skiing, but not because of the avalanche.

“I just haven’t purchased any new gear yet,” he said. “It’s kind of hard to justify, given that my stuff is still under some snow. But I’ll be back.”

Talk to us

More in Local News

A grave marker for Blaze the horse. (Photo provided)
After Darrington woman’s horse died, she didn’t know what to do

Sidney Montooth boarded her horse Blaze. When he died, she was “a wreck” — and at a loss as to what to do with his remains.

A fatal accident the afternoon of Dec. 18 near Clinton ended with one of the cars involved bursting into flames. The driver of the fully engulfed car was outside of the vehicle by the time first responders arrived at the scene. (Whidbey News-Times/Submitted photo)
Driver sentenced in 2021 crash that killed Everett couple

Danielle Cruz, formerly of Lynnwood, gets 17½ years in prison. She was impaired by drugs when she caused the crash that killed Sharon Gamble and Kenneth Weikle.

A person walks out of the Everett Clinic on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Everett Clinic changing name to parent company Optum in 2024

The parent company says the name change will not affect quality of care for patients in Snohomish County.

Tirhas Tesfatsion (GoFundMe) 20210727
Lynnwood settles for $1.7 million after 2021 suicide at city jail

Jail staff reportedly committed 16 safety check violations before they found Tirhas Tesfatsion, 47, unresponsive in her cell.

Diane Kay Thompson, center, listens during their sentencing at Snohomish County Superior Court in Everett, Washington on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
Marysville woman sentenced to 2 years for running over, killing husband

Diane Thompson pleaded guilty to manslaughter. “My home was taken, my daughters hate me and I have no money to my name,” she said.

The Marysville Municipal Jail is pictured Thursday, Sept. 14, 2023, in Marysville, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Marysville weighs mandatory jail time for repeated ‘public disorder’

The “three strikes” proposal sets a minimum sentence of 30 days in jail for crimes like public drug use and trespassing.

Everett police on patrol heard gunshots near 26th Street and Lombard Avenue and closed off multiple roads as they investigated on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023. (Everett Police Department)
Roads closed, 3 teens arrested after gunfire in downtown Everett

No one was injured after police heard gunfire in the area of 26th Street and Lombard Avenue.

A girl walks her dog along a path lined with dandelions at Willis D. Tucker Community Park on Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Spraying in Willis Tucker Park resurfaces debate over herbicides

Park staff treated about 11,000 square feet with glyphosate and 2,4-D. When applied correctly, staff said they aren’t harmful.

Cash is used for a purchase at Molly Moon's Ice Cream in Edmonds, Washington on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
County Council delays vote on requiring businesses to take cash

Concerns over information and enforcement postponed the council’s scheduled vote on the ordinance Wednesday in Snohomish County.

Most Read