TULALIP — The woman killed in a fire Wednesday night has been identified as Phyllis R. Ballam, 58, of Marysville.
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Ballam died of smoke inhalation. Her death has been ruled an accident.
The fire reportedly began when Ballam lit a cigarette while using medical oxygen, Marysville Fire District spokeswoman Kristen Thorstenson said.
Ballam’s clothes ignited and the fire spread through her one-story wooden home in the 6300 block of 23rd Avenue NE on the Tulalip Reservation, Thorstenson said.
By the time emergency crews arrived about 7:20 p.m., the fire was too hot to save the woman from the engulfed home, Thorstenson said.
Oxygen feeds fire. Thorstenson urged smokers who take oxygen not to smoke while using an oxygen tank.