Woman charged with murder in girl’s death by neglect

TULALIP — A second-degree murder charge has been filed against a Tulalip mother whose young daughter died of neglect.

Federal prosecutors allege that Christina D. Carlson left her 19-month-old daughter Chantel Craig and her other daughter, 3, alone in a parked car on the Tulalip Indian Reservation.

Chantel was unconscious and not breathing Oct. 8 when medical personnel were called. The girl was covered in feces and lice.

Prosecutors believe Carlson, 36, and her daughters were living in the blue Volvo for weeks. The car reeked of urine, feces and rotting food. Investigators also say there is evidence that Carlson was using drugs there, court papers said.

A few hours before Carlson asked a neighbor to call 911, she allegedly was sending text messages from the neighbor’s phone, attempting to score some drugs, according to court papers made public Friday in U.S. District Court in Seattle.

Carlson reportedly told police that she’d been trying to get drugs because her back hurt from sleeping in the car.

An autopsy revealed that Chantel was dehydrated and suffered from severe malnutrition, weighing 19 pounds. Her ribs were visible through her skin and her belly was sunken in. A healthy weight range for a girl Chantel’s age is between 19 1/2 to 27 pounds, according to an Everett pediatrician.

Chantel’s skin had sores and other signs of prolonged exposure to sweat and urine, the Snohomish County Medical Examiner concluded.

There were maggots in her diaper and lice in her hair, according to court papers.

Tests conducted on the older daughter’s hair revealed signs of exposure to opiates. The girl also suffered from severe dehydration and had bleeding wounds, likely from sitting in feces and urine for a long time. She also had lice and her blanket was infested with bed bugs and maggots, FBI Agent Neil Rogers wrote in the complaint against Carlson.

The Tulalip mother told police she hadn’t changed the girls’ diapers in four days because she had run out. Police found a full package of unused diapers in the car’s trunk.

In addition to murder, Carlson is charged with two counts of criminal mistreatment. Prosecutors allege that she withheld the basic necessities of life from her daughters.

Child welfare workers from the state and tribes had been trying to find Carlson for months.

The defendant’s mother had lodged a complaint with Child Protective Service on Dec. 2, 2011. State social workers were told that the girls had head lice and weren’t being fed properly. They also were told that Carlson frequently drank alcohol until she passed out.

Social workers eventually contacted Carlson and saw the girls, reporting that they appeared healthy.

State records show that social workers, despite not finding any signs of abuse or neglect during their visit, continued to try to help the family.

But the state closed its file on the case just hours before the girls were discovered in the car. Social workers wrote that the investigation couldn’t be completed because the family couldn’t be found. Relatives suspected that Carlson was dodging authorities. Her mother told authorities that Carlson refused to let her see the children.

Before the infant’s death, Carlson had three other children removed from her care because of her drug use and allegations of neglect. Investigators spoke with witnesses who had contact with Carlson and the girls in the days leading up to Chantel’s death.

One woman told police that on Oct. 5 she and two other women confronted Carlson about staying on the property. The woman told investigators that Carlson and a man were inside the car smoking what she believed was heroin. She said the girls were in the backseat. She said the car reeked of feces, but she couldn’t see the children’s condition because there was a blanket strung between the front and back seats.

Police also questioned the couple who live in a recreational trailer on the property where Carlson’s car was parked. They told police about Carlson using their phone and sending text messages that day. They said they gave Carlson milk, gas and cigarettes now and then.

The man said every time he drove to the bottom of the dirt road where Carlson was staying the girls were in the car. He said he’d offered to rent Carlson a motor home on the property. He said she may have stayed in it a couple of nights when it was cold.

Weather records show that Oct. 8 was a sunny day with a high of 71 degrees, Rogers wrote.

Carlson told detectives that she’d left her daughters for hours that day while she used the neighbor’s phone. She was adamant that three doors were open when she left the car.

Carlson returned back to the couple’s trailer after being gone about 20 minutes. She told the neighbor that something was wrong with Chantel. The woman called 911 and they went back to the car.

The woman said when they reached the car all the doors were closed except for the rear passenger door. Chantel and her sister were in their car seats. An emergency operator instructed the women to remove Chantel and to place her on the ground. Carlson began giving the girl cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Medical personnel raced Chantel and her sister to the hospital. Chantel did not survive the night.

Her sister later was taken to Children’s Hospital in Seattle, where she spent time in intensive care. She is expected to recover.

Tulalip Tribal police officers arrested Carlson. Three days later she was charged in Tulalip Tribal Court with criminal endangerment and failure to care for her children. The U.S. Attorney’s Office was asked to review the child’s death.

Since 2001, the Tulalip Tribes have assumed jurisdiction over criminal matters on the reservation involving Tulalip members and other people who belong to federally recognized tribes.

Federal authorities also have jurisdiction on tribal land to investigate and prosecute more than a dozen major crimes, such as murder, rape, manslaughter and felony child abuse or neglect.

FBI agents assisted Tulalip tribal police detectives early on in the death investigation.

Carlson made her first appearance Friday in U.S. District Court.

Meanwhile, state officials plan to conduct an investigation into Chantel’s death and to review how social workers handled the previous referral to Child Protective Services.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.

Comments have been disabled for this story.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Mt. Baker visible from the summit of Mt. Dickerman on a late summer day in 2017. (Caleb Hutton / The Herald)
Hornets pester hikers on popular Mountain Loop trails

“You cannot out run the stings,” one hiker wrote in a trip report. The Forest Service has posted alerts at two trailheads.

A view of a 6 parcel, 4.4 acre piece of land in Edmonds, south of Edmonds-Woodway High School on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2023 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Housing authority seeks more property in Edmonds

The Housing Authority of Snohomish County doesn’t have specific plans for land near 80th Avenue West, if its offer is accepted.

Nursing Administration Supervisor Susan Williams points at a list of current COVID patients at Providence Regional Medical Center on Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Dozens of Providence patients in medical limbo for months, even years

About 100 people are stuck in Everett hospital beds without an urgent medical reason. New laws aim for a solution.

Emergency responders surround an ultralight airplane that crashed Friday, Sept. 22, 2023, at the Arlington Municipal Airport in Arlington, Washington, resulting in the pilot's death. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Pilot dead in ultralight plane crash at Arlington Municipal Airport

There were no other injuries or fatalities reported, a city spokesperson said.

Cash is used for a purchase at Molly Moon's Ice Cream in Edmonds, Washington on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2023. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
County Council delays vote on requiring businesses to take cash

Concerns over information and enforcement postponed the council’s scheduled vote on the ordinance Wednesday in Snohomish County.

A girl walks her dog along a path lined with dandelions at Willis D. Tucker Community Park on Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Spraying in Willis Tucker Park resurfaces debate over herbicides

Park staff treated about 11,000 square feet with glyphosate and 2,4-D. When applied correctly, staff said they aren’t harmful.

One of Snohomish County PUD’s new smart readers is installed at a single family home Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023, in Mill Creek, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
PUD program seeks to make energy grid smarter for 380K customers

The public utility’s ConnectUp program will update 380,000 electric meters and 23,000 water meters in the next few years.

An example of the Malicious Women Co. products (left) vs. the Malicious Mermaid's products (right). (U.S. District Court in Florida)
Judge: Cheeky candle copycat must pay Snohomish company over $800K

The owner of the Malicious Women Co. doesn’t expect to receive any money from the Malicious Mermaid, a Florida-based copycat.

A grave marker for Blaze the horse. (Photo provided)
After Darrington woman’s horse died, she didn’t know what to do

Sidney Montooth boarded her horse Blaze. When he died, she was “a wreck” — and at a loss as to what to do with his remains.

Most Read