An Amazon drone delivers a package for the first time by air, in England. The company says this video documented the actual event. (Amazon via YouTube)

An Amazon drone delivers a package for the first time by air, in England. The company says this video documented the actual event. (Amazon via YouTube)

You may not like drones, but Amazon is all abuzz

It’s Christmas Eve. You’ve procrastinated a little too long on a gift for your significant other, and you’d rather do the Walk of Atonement (shame, shame, shame) from “Game of Thrones” than go near a shopping mall.

via GIPHY

No problem! You hop online, click a button and a drone flies to your doorstep within minutes carrying that shiny new toaster you know she’s been dying for. It’s fast, efficient and takes little, if any, work by human hands.

That’s Amazon’s dream, and it could arrive very soon. It recently conducted a successful drone delivery test, and it isn’t the only company envisioning a robot-fueled future. Uber has made no secret of its plans to replace its current fleet with self-driving cars, which Tesla and other automakers are working feverishly to bring to market. The Trump administration likely will let the tech companies figure out their own rules of the sky and road, in keeping with its policy of putting foxes in charge of henhouses.

So the robots are coming, but does anyone know if we’re ready for them? In our latest poll at HeraldNet.com, we asked how you feel about a future full of drones. Only 28 percent said it’s a good thing. The other 72 percent voted against, saying “it’ll crowd the sky and take people’s jobs.”

It does make you wonder what we’re all going to do for a living once the robots take over. Automation has transformed the world over the past century, and the workforce has always adapted, but this will be a major disruption in a short period of time.

And then there’s the big danger: What if the drones decide they don’t need us anymore? Physicist Stephen Hawking has warned that if artificial intelligence develops beyond our control, it will spell doom for humanity.

On the other hand, I could have tube socks delivered to my house in less than an hour. There are always going to be tradeoffs.

— Doug Parry, parryracer@gmail.com; @parryracer

From one dystopian dread to another, this time featuring the College Football Playoff™!

Talk to us

More in Local News

Paul McElhany points out how far the new building will extend past the current building at Northwest Fisheries Science Center's Mukilteo Research Station on Tuesday, April 23, 2019 in Mukilteo, Wash. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Oh, crab! NOAA’s Mukilteo waterfront fish lab won’t be rebuilt

Bids for a new Northwest Fisheries Science Center research station are too high. Are condos next?

Snohomish County Sheriff Adam Fortney during an interview at the sheriff’s department June 17, 2020. (Sue Misao / The Herald)
Auditor denies Fortney recall group the extra time it seeks

He said he could extend the deadline for signature gathering if ordered by a court or the Governor.

State Patrol worker from Everett charged with attempted child rape

Trevor Smith worked as a commercial vehicle enforcement officer assigned inspecting school buses.

A pre-loaded syringe with the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine sits on the table for the next person in line during a vaccine clinic as South Pointe Assisted Living on Friday, Feb. 12, 2021 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County to receive its largest shipment of vaccines

Even as case counts drop, researchers are finding a growing number of COVID variants in the state.

Austin Johnson, 26 years-old, trains on the Centennial Trail in Lake Stevens and is planning to do a 24-hour run to raise money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.  (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
24 hours, 80 miles, $23k raised for mental health

Austin Johnson completes a 24-hour run along the Centennial Trail to raise money for suicide prevention.

Everett man identified after being found dead in creek

The cause of death for Renee Baltazar Romero remained under investigation Thursday.

Everett man found dead in creek near Lake Stevens

The man, 28, was reported missing Thursday. A neighbor found his body in Little Pilchuck Creek.

Autopsy shows Lake Stevens woman, 20, drowned Saturday

Anna M. Lopez was swimming when witnesses noticed she was not responsive, according to officials.

Joe Hempel swims off of the shore of Seawall Park on Friday, Jan. 29, 2021 in Langley, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Scantily clad is the dress code for these cold rush swimmers

Immersed for 30 minutes in frigid water would kill most of us. It energizes these swimmers.

Most Read