Clallam Bay Corrections Center remained locked down Thursday morning following a fight Wednesday. (Jesse Major / Peninsula Daily News)

Clallam Bay Corrections Center remained locked down Thursday morning following a fight Wednesday. (Jesse Major / Peninsula Daily News)

Clallam Corrections Center locked down following fight

81 inmates were involved in the prison-yard altercation. Five were treated for injuries.

By Paul Gottlieb / Peninsula Daily News

CLALLAM BAY — Clallam Bay Corrections Center remains on lockdown this morning after a fight erupted at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday that was stopped by a warning shot, agency spokesman Jeremy Barclay said.

Eighty-one inmates in a prison population of about 825 were involved in the prison-yard fracas, he said.

Corrections officers waded into the fight deploying pepper spray, which failed to quell the disturbance, before the shot was fired.

“That brought them under control,” Barclay said.

Barclay said five inmates were transported offsite for treatment of injuries.

He said four inmates were returned to the prison Thursday morning without suffering serious harm, and one remained hospitalized with a broken jaw.

No officers were injured.

There was no indication that the disturbance involved any use of weapons, Barclay said.

Inmate visitation was cancelled for at least Thursday and Saturday, the beginning of the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Barclay did not know this morning if visitation would be cancelled for Sunday.

“They are on lockdown while we begin investigating the cause and making sure that nothing begins a new disturbance,” he said. “We want to make sure that calm is preserved.”

Barclay did not know if the fight grew out of a previous altercation.

“That will be part of the investigation and our questioning,” Barclay said.

Barclay said the lockdown, in which inmates are confined to their cells 24 hours a day, will be slowly eased.

“It’s a cooling-down period, where people’s tempers and their hot moods can slowly cool so that we can then engage with them further and can begin to interview those who were part of it, and can slowly, eventually, return to normal operation, especially for the over 90 percent of the population that was not involved in it,” Barclay said.

“That’s something we can cautiously enter into as the hours progress.”

This story originally appeared in the Peninsula Daily News, a sibling paper to the Herald.

Talk to us

More in Northwest

Humpback whale hit by Mukilteo ferry, Chip, is presumed dead

The whale, age 3, has not been seen since being struck Monday. His companion was later seen alone.

Comet streaking past Earth, providing spectacular show

NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet in March.

State: Held up jobless claims to be resolved by end of month

Just under 35,000 people are still waiting for resolution of their claims for unemployment benefits.

Most of Seattle council pledges to support police defunding

7 of 9 council members support the idea, though they have yet to say how they intend to make the cuts.

Bacteria found in water at Washington psychiatric hospital

No one can take showers or even wash their hands.

Inslee: Trump threats on reopening schools ‘hogwash’

The president said he’d hold back federal money if school districts don’t bring students back in the fall.

Feds scrap plans to reintroduce grizzlies to North Cascades

An environmental group was disappointed by the decision but did not think it was the final word on the bears.

Mary Kay Letourneau, teacher jailed for raping student, dies

After prison, the Seattle teacher married her former student and they raised two daughters together.

Driver who hit protesters on I-5 charged with 3 felonies

Dawit Kelete, 27, is accused of vehicular homicide, vehicular assault and reckless driving.

Most Read