By Mike Irwin / The Wenatchee World
CHELAN — Quick response by firefighters headed off a “potentially catastrophic” blaze Saturday evening at one of this lakeside city’s top hotels.
A 6:30 p.m. fire that ignited between floors at the Grandview on the Lake hotel damaged four rooms and forced evacuation of guests from two of the resort’s five buildings, said Chief Tim Lemon of Chelan County Fire District 7.
“Smoke detectors sounded at the hotel, and our guys were on the way,” said Lemon. “We got to the scene quickly and stopped what could have been a potentially catastrophic fire.”
A second alarm was cancelled, he said, after it became clear that first responders had the fire in hand.
Lemon said two of the four hotel rooms were damaged by heat, one by smoke and one by water. Guests were evacuated to the hotel’s main lobby for at least two hours while firefighters extinguished the blaze, snuffed hot spots and checked wiring. No one was injured in the fire.
Located near downtown Chelan, the Grandview is a luxury condo resort with 93 rooms and meeting-banquet facilities.
The blaze remained under investigation Sunday morning. Lemon said preliminary findings point to a ceiling fan in a bathroom that sparked the fire in the space between hotel floors.
“This is an older building that’s been renovated a number of times,” said Lemon. “We’ll need to look further to determine the exact cause.”