Hostages freed after 16-hour standoff; suspect presumed dead

A man barricaded himself in his sister’s home. After the rescue, the house burned.

Associated Press

ISSAQUAH — SWAT teams rescued four people Sunday after a 16-hour standoff between police and a man who barricaded himself in his sister’s home.

The Seattle Times reported that the standoff ended in a house fire and that the suspect is believed to have died in the flames. The hostages rescued were the sister, her boyfriend and two young children. No identities were released Sunday, but police said that the suspect was armed with a handgun and was the 28-year old brother of the woman whose home he forced his way into Saturday night.

A King County sheriff’s SWAT team rescued the boyfriend and two children just before 1 a.m. Sunday but were unable to reach the sister, who was in a different part of the house, according to a Washington State Patrol spokesman.

After negotiators were unsuccessful over the next 9½ hours in getting the brother to release his sister and to surrender, a second SWAT operation rescued the sister unharmed. Within minutes of her rescue, and after negotiators were unable to raise any response from the home, SWAT teams deployed gas into the house.

The Patrol spokesman said he did not know what kind or whether the type of canisters used were capable of starting a fire. Fire investigators from King County are involved in the investigation and fire investigators were going through the smoldering remains of the badly damaged home Sunday night.

Talk to us

More in Northwest

We’re still not allowed to go to Canada

We’re also not allowed to go to Mexico.

Inslee visits Brewster, the latest virus hot spot in state

Lightly populated Okanogan County now has the highest rate of COVID-19 cases in the state.

Primary turnout in Washington state highest seen in decades

Secretary of State Kim Wyman said counties should prepare for a potential November turnout of up to 90%.

Seattle mayor appeals recall decision to state Supreme Court

A petition seeks to recall Jenny Durkan over her role in the police response to protests.

Inslee directs $40 million to aid the undocumented

Approved applicants will receive $1,000. But payments may not be available until October.

Coast Guard searching for 2 fishermen off Cape Flattery

One man was rescued from a lifeboat after a 66-foot commercial fishing boat began to take on water.

Seattle police chief to resign following department cuts

Carmen Best, the city’s first Black police chief, said her retirement will be effective Sept. 2.

Online event marks 50th anniversary of Whidbey orca’s capture

A campaign to return the orca to the Salish Sea began 25 years ago, spurred by the 1993 film “Free Willy.”

‘Very concerning’ Postal Service changes could impact voting

The closing of facilities in Olympia, Everett and Pasco resulted in just 5.6% of expected cost savings.

Most Read