Reality means a no vote

Hear are the myths and realities of Initiative 745.

Myth: Only 4 percent of all trips are by bus. Reality: That figure counts every trip to the store, doctor, friend’s house, etc. During commuter rush times, 40 percent of all trips are by bus.

Myth: Since 1986 the state has built only 47 miles of new roads. Reality: This figure does not include additional lanes on existing roads. Since 1982 highway construction has occurred at a rate of 49 percent!

Myth: The gas tax goes to the general fund. Reality: The gas tax goes directly to roads, period.

Get the facts. Currently 80 percent of transportation funds goes directly to road construction with the remaining 20 percent going to transit and ferries. Will an additional 10 percent dumped into roads solve our transportation problems? Don’t bet on it! Keep transportation choices alive. Don’t force more people into cars and onto the roads. Vote no on I-745.

Mountlake Terrace

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Opinion

RGB version
Editorial cartoons for Saturday, May 18

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Snohomish County Councilmembers Nate Nehring, left, and Jared Mead, speaking, take turns moderating a panel including Tulip Tribes Chairwoman Teri Gobin, Stanwood Mayor Sid Roberts and Lynnwood Mayor Christine Frizzell during the Building Bridges Summit on Monday, Dec. 4, 2023, at Western Washington University Everett in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Editorial: Candidates, voters have campaign promises to make

Two county officials’ efforts to improve political discourse skills are expanding to youths and adults.

Eco-nomics: What it takes to take carbon out of energy

The transition to clean energy demands investment in R&D and the grid and streamlining processes.

Comment: Passing I-2117 would blast hole in transportation fixes

The measure would cut $5.4 billion in funding from work underway on roads, ferries and more.

Amtrak Cascades train 517 from Vancouver to Portland arrives at Everett Station Thursday, March 9, 2023, in downtown Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Forum: Taking the train must be made better travel alternative

State officials need to make the Amtrak Cascades route faster, increasing its value as an option to I-5.

college graduation exercises
Comment: 5 thoughts for grads as they enter ‘the real world’

Finding satisfaction, meaning, engagment and good pay in one job is rare, but not impossible.

Paul Krugman: Markets a good indicator of inflation’s direction

Recent price measurements were a little hard to judge, until the markets digested them.

toon
Editorial cartoons for Friday, May 17

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Attorney General Bob Ferguson speaks to a reporter as his 2024 gubernatorial campaign launch event gets underway in Seattle, on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023. ( Jerry Cornfield/Washington State Standard)
Editorial: Recruiting two Bob Fergusons isn’t election integrity

A GOP activist paid the filing fee for two gubernatorial candidates who share the attorney general’s name.

Schwab: Apparently, comparisons of Trump, Biden still necessary

While Biden is rebuilding infrastructure and economy, Trump is dealing for contributions and tribute.

Please continue reporting on hospital discharge backlog

I commend reporter Sydney Jackson’s story in the Weekend Herald on slow… Continue reading

State must provide more financial aid for college students

The costs of attending college have become increasingly more difficult throughout the… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.