Tax cuts only widened the gap

In response to the Sunday letter, “Lincoln saw this day coming“: Another important fact to note during this historic time period is that only 15 percent of Southerners owned slaves. Somehow that 15 percent was able to convince the other 85 percent to engage in activity that was contrary to their own self interests.

I feel strongly that the same can be said today.

The Bush tax cuts were possible due to the large surplus left us by President Clinton. We were told that the idea was to spur economic growth and job development. This has been a sorrowful failure. What the tax cuts have produced is a huge financial gain for the nation’s wealthiest citizens, an enormous burden on the national debt and a widening gap between the rich and poor.

Here is a list of top bracket tax rates from previous presidencies:

Wilson — 77 percent

FDR — 79 percent

Truman — 92 percent

Eisenhower — 92 percent

Nixon — 71 percent

Reagan — 69 percent

Clinton — 39 percent

Bush — 35 percent

This current group of lobbyist-controlled Republicans is trying to convince us that this tax rate is necessary for the health of the economy when in reality they offer huge financial gains to the top 2 percent, while leaving 98 percent of American citizens fearful for their Social Security and Medicare (Republicans and Democrats alike).

With lower tax revenues we can be sure to leave our children and grandchildren with a large debt, a diminished military, a crumbling infrastructure and lesser educational opportunities.

Like the 85 percent of Civil War-time Southerners, I feel we are being duped into behaving in ways that would be contrary to our own interests and the best interests of our magnificent United States of America.

Donald K. Anderson

Talk to us

More in Opinion

Editorial cartoons for Friday, Sept. 22

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Flowers bloom on the end of a dead tree on Spencer Island on Monday, Aug. 28, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Editorial: Restore salmon habitat but provide view of its work

Comments are sought on a plan to restore fish habitat to the island east of Everett with popular trails.

Schwab: GOP ‘projection’ is slideshow of hypocrisy, deflection

Trump, of course, is guilty, but so are House Republicans desperate to ferret out elusive dirt on Joe Biden.

Arlington Mayor Tolbert has helped her region rebuild, grow

Arlington Mayor Barb Tolbert has implemented the best programs to help people… Continue reading

Johnson’s endorsements reason enough to earn vote for sheriff

Another week. Another death at the Snohomish County jail (“Man, 38, identified… Continue reading

Resumption of expanded child tax credit can fight poverty

The U.S. Census Bureau has released poverty data for 2022 and the… Continue reading

Comment: Musk is his CEO’s X-factor (and not in a good way)

Musk is the widely variable variable for the X chief executive who can’t make headway on advertising.

FILE - Six-year-old Eric Aviles receives the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine from pharmacist Sylvia Uong at a pediatric vaccine clinic for children ages 5 to 11 set up at Willard Intermediate School in Santa Ana, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021. In a statement Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021, California's public health officer, Dr. Tomas J. Aragon, said that officials are monitoring the Omicron variant. There are no reports to date of the variant in California, the statement said. Aragon said the state was focusing on ensuring its residents have access to vaccines and booster shots. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)
Editorial: A plea for watchful calm this time regarding covid

We don’t need a repeat of uncontrolled infections or of the divisions over vaccines and masks.

A construction worker caulks the siding on a townhouse at The Towns at Riverfront housing development in Everett on October 25, 2017. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Editorial: How do we put housing within reach of everyone?

A Herald Forum panel discussion considered the challenges and solutions for affordable housing.

Most Read