Here are five local prep events to keep an eye on this week:
1. Boys basketball: 4A District 1 tournament (at home sites), 7 p.m. Thursday. The tourney opens with two elimination contests: The No. 6 seed at the third seed, and the fifth seed at the fourth seed.
2. Girls basketball: 3A District 1 tournament (at home sites), TBD Friday. Coaches and pudnits agree that this should be a great tournament to watch. It features several quality teams but no overwhelming favorite.
3. Boys swimming and diving: 3A, 4A District 1 finals (at Snohomish), TBD Saturday. Team and individual district champions will be crowned at this meet, which gives swimmers one last chance to post state-qualifying times.
4. Boys wrestling: 2A Region 1 tournament (at Ridgefield), TBD Saturday. Wrestlers from Cedarcrest, Archbishop Murphy and Granite Falls attempt to qualify for Mat Classic. Grapplers from six Evergreen Conference 2A and seven Greater St. Helens League 2A teams also will compete.
5. Boys wrestling: 3A Region 3 tournament (at Everett High School), 5 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. Saturday. Mat Classic berths will be on the line in this tourney, which features a variety of Wesco squads.
6. Girls wrestling: Region 1 tournament (at Sedro-Woolley), TBD Saturday. The Northwest Conference is one of the stronger leagues in the state for girls wrestling, so the Wesco regional qualifiers surely will have a tough challenge ahead of them.