MOUNT BAKER – Marysville-Pilchuck’s boys cross country team had five runners finish in the top 40 of the Mount Baker Invitational at Silver Lake Park on Saturday, and that proved to be enough for the Tomahawks to take first place in the 35-team race.
“This was a pleasant surprise and I feel great for our guys,” said Marysville-Pilchuck coach Craig Bowen. “Basically everybody ran well and stayed together. I felt like we supported one another as a team during the course of the race.”
Brandon Whitaker was Marysville-Pilchuck’s top finisher, taking 10th place with a time of16:09.15.
Tim Tenbrink finished 27th for the Tomahawks, and freshman Bryan Christensen finished 31st.
“I don’t want to single anyone out since they all did such a good job,” said Bowen, “but Bryan really stepped up and had a great race for us.”
Bowen commented that his team has come a long way this season. “We didn’t necessarily start off like gangbusters,” he said, “but we’ve had steady improvement all season and today our hard work really paid off in a big way.”
Marysville-Pilchuck was not the only local team that had a strong day at the invitational.
Oak Harbor had two runners in the top five, with Scott Sebens finishing second and Eric Rooney fifth to help their team to a fourth-place finish.
Kamiak’s Travis Boyd finished third to pace his team’s fifth-place finish. Stanwood finished eighth behind Nick Cairus’ 15th-place finish and Cascade finished eighth behind Andy Fader’s fourth-place finish.
1. Vincent (Squalicum) 18:22.96, 2. Coulter (Blaine), 3. Thon (Squalicum), 4, Krishnek (Mt. Baker), .5. Lia (Bothell), 6. Gordon (Woodinville), 7. Saulie-Rohman (Lynden), 8. Rohde (Mt. Baker), 9. Sadler (Cascade), 10. Turner (Omak). Local Top Thirty Finishers: 12. Hansen (Kings), 13. Watkins (Kings), 15. Pickett (Arlington), 16. C. Urness (Stanwood), 21. Lee (Mountlake Terrace), 22. Dutton (Stanwood), 23. Scwerdtfeger (Mountlake Terrace), 24. Cullen (Oak Harbor), 26. Zoe Urness (Stanwood), 27. Roark (Stanwood).
1. Berry (Snohomish) 303.1, 2. Enders (Snohomish) 301. 3., Bernhard (Shorewood) 279.4, Davis (M-P) 241.95, 5. Langlee (M-P) 228.65, 6. Tracy (Cascade) 224.95, 7. Dobler (Cascade) 224.7, 8. Dahlgren (Sehome) 220.4
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing email@example.com or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.