Qualifying for the boys and girls state basketball tournaments is complete, and the matchups for the regional round Friday and Saturday are set.
The state tournaments are in their second season since changing formats. The current set-up advances 12 teams in each classification to either the Tacoma Dome (4A and 3A), Yakima Valley SunDome (2A and 1A) or Spokane Arena (2B and 1B) for the second and final week of the tournaments, which run Feb. 28 through March 3.
The 16 teams that qualified for state through their respective district tournaments have been seeded 1-16 based on the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association’s final Ratings Percentage Index (RPI).
Unlike last season, the rankings now factor in district-tournament play. The rankings were finalized after all the district tournaments were completed Saturday.
The 16-team regional round is split into two groups: seeds 1-8 and seeds 9-16.
Seeds 1-8 square off in non-elimination regional games, with both teams advancing to the final week of the tournament. The reward for winning these regional contests is a bye into the state quarterfinals.
Seeds 9-16 play loser-out regional games, with the winners advancing to the final week of the tournament.
The losers of the 1-8 games and winners of the 9-16 games meet in single-elimination contests Wednesday, Feb. 28, in the first round of their respective state tournaments. Those first-round winners advance to the quarterfinals.
From there, the tournaments carry on from Thursday, March 1, through Saturday, March 3, with the same eight-team, modified double-elimination format used in previous years — one loss eliminates a team from title contention and two losses eliminate a team from the tournament.
State regional matchups involving local teams are listed below, with seeds in parentheses.
(10) Glacier Peak vs. (15) Skyline, noon Saturday at Jackson High School (loser out)
(11) Kentwood vs. (14) Kamiak, 4 p.m. Saturday at Auburn Mountainview High School (loser out)
(2) Eastlake vs. (7) Lake Stevens, 2 p.m. Saturday at Bellevue College (both advance)
(12) Lewis and Clark vs. (13) Glacier Peak, 8 p.m. Friday at West Valley High School in Spokane (loser out)
(10) Marysville Pilchuck vs. (15) Mt. Spokane, 2 p.m. Saturday at North Creek High School (loser out)
(11) Stanwood vs. (14) Kamiakin, 4 p.m Saturday at Jackson High School (loser out)
(9) Prairie vs. (16) Arlington, 2 p.m. Saturday at Battle Ground High School (loser out)
(10) Stanwood vs. (15) Lynnwood, 6 p.m. Saturday at Jackson High School (loser out)
(12) Cleveland vs. (13) Shorecrest, 4 p.m Saturday at Bellevue College (loser out)
(4) Mark Morris vs. (5) Mountlake Terrace, 4 p.m. Saturday at W.F. West High School (both advance)
(4) Port Angeles vs. (5) Archbishop Murphy, 4 p.m. Saturday at Mt. Tahoma High School (both advance)
(9) Lakeside-Nine Mile Falls vs. (16) King’s, 6 p.m. Friday at Medical Lake High School (loser out)
(3) Cedar Park Christian-Mountlake Terrace vs. (6) Odessa, 4 p.m. Saturday at North Creek High School (both advance)
(11) Tulalip Heritage vs. (14) Pope John Paul II, 2 p.m. Saturday at Jackson High School (loser out)