A day after his lawyer said he had affidavits proving his innocence, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar surrendered to the Miramar, Fla., Police Department on four felony charges of armed robbery.
The charges stem from an incident late Wednesday night in Miramar in which both Dunbar and New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker were alleged, along with a third man, to steal at gunpoint more than $12,000 in cash and $63,000 in jewelry.
Baker surrendered earlier Saturday morning.
Dunbar will stay overnight in Broward County jail and appear in Broward County Court on Sunday morning at which time bond will be set.
Miramar police announced Thursday afternoon that warrants had been issued for both Baker and Dunbar in connection with the incident.
Dunbar’s lawyer Michael Grieco announced Friday he had affidavits from five witnesses — the same five who were in the initial police report — stating that Dunbar was not involved and that he hoped the warrant would be recalled.
But the Miramar PD said that the warrants still stood and that they had no new information to reconsider the warrants, with information officer Tania Rues saying none of the five witnesses had come to them to change their story.
“We couldn’t wait any longer,” Grieco told The Seattle Times in confirming that Dunbar had turned himself in.
Grieco also announced via Twitter and Instagram that Dunbar had turned himself in.
“Today our client (Quinton) Dunbar voluntarily surrendered at the Broward County jail pursuant to a bogus arrest warrant based solely on uncorroborated witness statements that have since been recanted. As I write this an innocent man sits in jail, facing charges that hold no water,” Grieco wrote on Twitter.
The Miramar PD tweeted a confirmation that each man had turned himself in while stating no additional information would be provided. Baker’s lawyer, Brad Cohen, also released a statement confirming that Baker had turned himself in while stating that he has seven affidavits and video evidence that prove Baker’s innocence.
On Instagram, Grieco again criticized the Miramar Police Department, as he had in media interviews Friday, writing: “His career and reputation have been put in jeopardy as a result of an overzealous (Miramar Police Department) that was so excited about arresting a pro football player that they tweeted out their celebration and even tagged his employer in their ‘virtual touchdown dance.’ When this case gets dropped I wonder if the Miramar cops will be tweeting out their apology. In my 20-year criminal justice career I have rarely seen an injustice like this. (Dunbar) has never been in trouble before, and to think he’s now sitting in jail risking his health during a pandemic due to recanted false allegations makes me sick. This is when the prosecutors can correct the wrongs committed by the police’s rush to judgment.”
Saturday’s events are the latest turn in what has been a stunning few days involving a player who was one of the Seahawks’ key offseason acquisitions.
In March, Seattle dealt a fifth-round pick to Washington to acquire Dunbar, who appeared on his way to a possible Pro Bowl berth last season before a late-season hamstring issue put him on Injured Reserve, which some regarded as a surprisingly low price.
The caveats were that Dunbar had played just 18 games the past two seasons due to injury and was entering the final year of his contract and was going to want to get paid big to stay. A dispute over his contract was why he had been on the trading block in the first place (and reports out of Washington stated that no team offered more than the Seahawks).
Still, Seattle was exceedingly happy to have Dunbar in the fold for at least the 2020 season to hopefully improve a pass defense that was exposed throughout the 2019 season, the first in which not a single member of the famed Legion of Boom secondary suited up for the Seahawks since coach Pete Carroll arrived in 2010.
“I’m excited about this guy,” Carroll said last month of the 6-foot-2, 202-pound Dunbar. “He’s a playmaker, and we need depth at corner.”