LYNNWOOD – A blaze that ripped through a Lynnwood apartment building today, Aug. 9, has likely caused about $3 million in damage, fire investigators are reporting this evening.
Five apartments are extensively damaged while several others also were hit hard by flames, smoke and water. Firefighters had most of the fire under control by about 6:15 p.m. They continued to put out hotspots three hours after the fire was first reported.
Investigators suspect a french fryer on the second floor sparked the fire, which has raced through four floors of the north building at the LynnView Apartments, Lynnwood police spokeswoman Shannon Sessions said. Firefighters have been attacking the fire from outside the building. Dangerous conditions drove them out of the building.
There aren’t any reports of injuries.
“This is a tricky fire,” Sessions said. “There are electrical wires crossed and exposure” to the second building in the complex.
The apartment complex is located in the 5800 block of 200th Street West.
The fire broke out around 4:30 p.m. There are about 60 apartments in both buildings. More than 35 families lived in the building that has been consumed by the fire, Sessions said.
Residents in the south building also were forced to leave because of heat and smoke.
Red Cross workers are on scene to assist residents affected by the fire.
John Krouck was at a nearby gas station when he saw the smoke plume rising from the apartment where he has lived for three years.
“I turned around and saw the smoke and immediately came here to see that I was about to lose everything,” Krouck said.
He said he is worried that family heirlooms are gone.
“I am one of the ones who’s burned ou,t but as a Christian, Job has been through far worse,” Krouck said.
People who live at the apartments were gathering together to console one another. Some were worried about the fate of their pets. Others said they were only thinking about where they will live now that their home is destroyed.