Family poisoned by carbon monoxide

  • <br>Enterprise staff
  • Monday, March 3, 2008 11:42am

Five Shoreline residents were taken to the hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide from a charcoal stove they were using indoors.

The family, which included two adults and three teenagers, called 911 at 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 19. They reside at the Colonial Gardens apartment complex at 150th Street and 15th Avenue Northeast.

“They called because of severe headache, nausea and just not feeling well,” said Melanie Granfors, Shoreline Fire Department spokesperson, “which is a very typical sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The family was transported to Northwest Hospital. They had been using a charcoal stove in the house to cook food, said Granfors, as they were without electricity due to the wind storm.

“They were doing it to keep warm and to eat some food at the apartment,” Granfors said.

Talk to us