Fire Sirens

  • <br>For the Enterprise
  • Monday, March 3, 2008 1:11pm

The Edmonds Fire Department was dispatched to 113 calls in and around Edmonds the week of Oct. 22-28, which brings this year’s call volume to 4,262. Medical crews evaluated 68 patients; fire crews responded to 45 incidents.

Severe weather brings carbon monoxide danger

If you have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector, please read your owner’s manual. Depending on the model, low-battery alerts and reset signals may vary. For example, fire crews recently responded to a residential CO alarm that chirped about once a minute to warn of a low battery. When they placed a new battery in the detector, it made two long beeps as it reset.

Carbon monoxide alarms are important to alert people of everyday potential sources of CO in the home.

Power outages, however, cause additional safety concerns as residents seek alternative heat and cooking sources. CO is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned.

Never bring indoors any fuel-burning appliance that is intended for outdoor use. Dangerous levels of CO can result. You can’t see or smell CO, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.

A generator can be an effective energy source during a power outage, but using it safely as it requires your attention. Always read the directions that come with it.

Generator safety tips:

• Place the generator away from windows, doors, and vents that could allow CO to come inside.

• Turn-off the generator and let it cool before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts can ignite.

• Determine the amount of power you will need. Light bulb wattage indicates the power needed. Appliance and equipment labels indicate their power requirements. If you can’t determine the amount of power you will need, ask an electrician.

Never try to power your house by plugging the generator into a wall outlet, a practice known as “back feeding.” It can lead to the electrocution of utility workers or neighbors served by the same utility transformer.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, and fainting. If you experience any of these symptoms, get fresh air immediately. Go to the emergency room and tell the doctor you suspect CO poisoning. Source: WA State Emergency Management Division www.emd.wa.gov

Reminder: When you turn your clocks back on Sunday, Nov. 4, change your smoke and CO detector batteries, too.

Talk to us