Man barricades himself in Lynnwood hotel room

  • Shannon Sessions<br>Lynnwood / Mountlake Terrace Enterprise editor
  • Monday, February 25, 2008 7:57am

LYNNWOOD — Lynnwood police officers and the South Snohomish County SWAT team negotiated with an armed murder suspect who barricaded himself in a room of the Extended StayAmerica Hotel in Lynnwood for at least 18 hours on March 18 and 19.

As of the Enterprise deadline late afternoon on March 19, negotiations continued and no one had been physically harmed.

The alleged suspect, Kevin Dale Woo, believed to be in his 30s, is wanted by the FBI in the 1997 drowning death of a newborn baby that occurred in a Las Vegas hotel room.

Lynnwood police discovered his whereabouts after they arrested his companion, Kristine Sue Westin, age unknown, for shoplifting March 18. Westin also is wanted by the FBI in connection with the same newborn’s death.

Police arrived at the StayAmerica in the 3100 block of 196th Street SW about 10 p.m. March 18. They evacuated the rooms above and below Woo’s second-floor room. The suspect was apparently still on the second floor March 19 in the center of the motel above the lobby and had a vantage point through a window.

“When they tried to make contact with him, he barricaded himself in his room,” said Lynnwood Police spokeswoman Trudy Dana. Soon after, police snipers were staged in a vacant showroom in the hotel. Motorists were still allowed to drive along 196th Street SW but some businesses, such as Staples and Bed Bath &Beyond, were cordoned off by police and Lynnwood’s Citizens Patrol and not open to customers.

Dana said stopping traffic on 196th Street wasn’t necessary because of where his room was located.

Throughout the day police have helped guests leave the hotel and some guests weren’t able to retrieve their vehicles, Dana said.

The Old Spaghetti Factory in Lynnwood donated about 40 boxes of food for the crews, police said.

Staff from the Herald in Everett contributed to this article.

Talk to us