Snohomish stops Shorewood’s run

  • Charlie Laughtland<br>Enterprise writer
  • Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:29am

Three loser-out games in five days took a toll on the Shorewood girls soccer team.

In a rematch of last year’s Northwest District 4A title game, Snohomish topped the Thunderbirds 2-0 Wednesday night at Mount Vernon High School.

The loss brought an end to Shorewood’s seven-game winning streak and two-year run of consecutive state tournament appearances.

The T-birds finished the season 11-6-1 overall.

“We felt good about the run that we had,” Shorewood coach Joe Hampson said. “It was rewarding to finish as high as we did.”

Shorewood was coming off a 1-0 upset of Wesco North runner-up Cascade in a penalty kick shootout Tuesday night at Everett Memorial Stadium.

Quality shots were few and far between for both sides during regulation and the two five-minute overtime sessions. But the T-birds converted three of their five penalty kicks and the Bruins only made two.

Other than two forfeits due to the use of an ineligible player, it was just the second loss of the season for Cascade, a 4A state finalist in 2002.

“You never want it to go to a shootout,” Hampson said, “but I was confident the girls would get it done.”

Sophomore forward Lauren Sego opened the shootout by rifling a shot to the lower left corner past Bruins goalkeeper Brittany Gegax.

Shorewood’s 1-0 edge held up until the third rotation, when Cascade midfielder Brynn Simek’s blast glanced off the left side of the goal and into the net.

Junior defenders Emily Handley and Katie Barnes both cashed in on their attempts for the T-birds, putting the pressure on Cascade’s final two kickers.

Kayla Anderson snuck a roller past Shorewood keeper Tiffany Dillow to even the shootout at 2-all, but teammate Annie Uberti pushed her shot wide right, setting off a Shorewood celebration.

“We knew we’d have to work hard for that one,” said Dillow, who dove to her right to stuff Cascade’s first penalty kick.

To advance to Tuesday’s game against Cascade, the T-birds blanked Monroe 2-0 in a pigtail matchup Nov. 2.

Akosua Fordjour finished off a Nicole Kopta pass for Shorewood’s first goal in the 25th minute and sophomore Caitlyn Faidley came off the bench to score an unassisted goal in the 38th minute.Herald writer Mike Cane contributed to this story.

Talk to us