Dodgers manager Mattingly suspended 2 games
Mattingly was also given an undisclosed fine "for excessive arguing" with home plate umpire Angel Campos in Thursday's 10-6 loss in Pittsburgh. Mattingly and outfielder Matt Kemp were ejected in the game.
The suspension was announced Saturday by Joe Garagiola Jr., senior vice president of standards and on-field operations for MLB.
Mattingly said he was confused when he first received word of the suspension. He said he now understands he was suspended because he did not attempt to restrain Kemp before joining the argument.
Kemp received no suspension or fine.
"I'm happy about that," Mattingly said.
Mattingly was with the team for batting practice Saturday. Asked where he will watch the game, Mattingly said "I don't know. I heard there's a suite somewhere."
Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman will fill in for Mattingly, who said Friday he was expecting to be suspended "a game or two."
- Mariners' Saunders has season-high 3 hits 8/19/13
- Mariners' notes: Morse, Perez struggling 8/19/13
- Huijer helps AquaSox beat Emeralds 6-2 8/18/13
- Seager leads Mariners to 4-3 win over Rangers 8/18/13
- Phillies snap Dodgers' 10-game win streak 8/18/13
- Tigers' Cabrera hits 40th HR, Scherzer wins 18th 8/18/13
- Gibson: 'Cheaters' like Braun rob other players 8/18/13
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.