Dodgers manager Mattingly suspended 2 games
Mattingly was also given an undisclosed fine "for excessive arguing" with home plate umpire Angel Campos in Thursday's 10-6 loss in Pittsburgh. Mattingly and outfielder Matt Kemp were ejected in the game.
The suspension was announced Saturday by Joe Garagiola Jr., senior vice president of standards and on-field operations for MLB.
Mattingly said he was confused when he first received word of the suspension. He said he now understands he was suspended because he did not attempt to restrain Kemp before joining the argument.
Kemp received no suspension or fine.
"I'm happy about that," Mattingly said.
Mattingly was with the team for batting practice Saturday. Asked where he will watch the game, Mattingly said "I don't know. I heard there's a suite somewhere."
Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman will fill in for Mattingly, who said Friday he was expecting to be suspended "a game or two."
- AquaSox have playoff aspirations 8/19/14
- Everett's Dedrick gets tryout with U.S. women's national baseball team 8/19/14
- M’s manager McClendon ejected for second straight game 8/18/14
- M's send Jones to Tacoma to make room for Elias 8/18/14
- Some AquaSox are lucky, some are not 8/18/14
- Angels' Hamilton sits out second straight game 8/18/14
- Pirates' McCutchen expects to come off DL and play Tuesday 8/18/14
- Blanco's three-run homer leads Phillies to 4-1 win over Mariners 8/18/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.