1918: On July 13, the public votes to create the Port of Everett to capture maritime work related to World War I. The port’s boundaries encompass most of the city of Everett and portions of the city of Mukilteo and unincorporated Snohomish County.
1928: The Everett Airport, also known as the Ebey Island Airport, is dedicated. The site, a project of the port and Commercial Air Transport, is the first Snohomish County airport.
1929: The port acquires the 14th Street Dock, Jetty Island and Preston Point from the Everett Improvement Co.
1930: Puget Sound Pulp and Timber Co. is built at the foot of 26th Street, beginning more than 80 years of paper production in Everett. The site is now the former Kimberly-Clark mill.
1937: Pacific Coast members of the American Federation of Labor’s International Longshoremen’s Union (ILA) form the International Longshoremen’s and Warehousemen’s Union. As of 2018, ILWU Locals 32, 52 and 98 still serve the port.
1951: The port approves $190,000 in bonds for the enlargement of Tract O (now 14th Street), a new commercial fishing moorage site.
1967: Boeing opens in Everett to build the 747 jumbo jet.
1968: A domed structure is built near Pier 1 to store alumina ore imports, which were critical for aerospace production. The dome now stores bulk cement.
1972: The port recognizes the need for a public boat launch and begins a partnership with the city of Everett and Snohomish County. It also fills in an area to create the site that is now Waterfront Place Central.
1980: The port completes an $18 million marina expansion, extending the Everett Yacht Basin with 1,200 new slips — now the South Marina.
1984: Marina Village is built, adding restaurants and businesses. Part of the property sits on footprints of the 1800s-era Clough-Hartley and Robinson mills.
1994: Naval Station Everett opens on 110 acres the port sold to the Navy in 1987.
1996: The port embarks on a five-year program of capital improvements and business diversification to create jobs and new sources of revenue after a more than 50 percent decline in log exports.
1998: The port buys the old Weyerhaeuser Mill B property along the Snohomish River and plans to create a new industrial park.
1999: Pacific Terminal is constructed to replace Norton Terminal, which was sold to the U.S. Navy in 1987. Container cranes are put into operation at the terminal in 2005.
2005: The port signs three shipping lines. By 2018, eight shipping lines serve the port.
2007: The port opens a new 220-slip yacht basin, the newest marina facility in the Puget Sound region in 20 years.
2008: Mount Baker Terminal opens for transport of aerospace cargo.
2010: The historic Collins Building is demolished. Materials is salvaged for use in other historic structures.
2011: The port opens Waterfront Center and begins construction of the Craftsman District boatyard.
2016: Construction begins for seaport modernization and Fisherman’s Harbor.
2017: The port transfers ownership of the 22-acre Mukilteo tank farm to the state, the city of Mukilteo, Sound Transit and the Tulalip Tribes.
2018: The port welcomes the first oversized containers carrying parts for the new Boeing 777X jetliner. Strengthening of the port’s South Terminal continues.
2019: Hotel Indigo, a 142-room hotel at Waterfront Place, and Pacific Rim Plaza and a splash fountain are expected to open mid-year.
Source: Port of Everett