STANWOOD — The family didn’t realize their roof had caught fire.
Don Bartlett, assistant chief of operations with North County Fire and EMS, saw the column of smoke and called it in. He knocked on the door of the home on 276th Place NW around noon. A mom and daughter were inside, he said.
“They didn’t believe me at first,” Bartlett said. “I said, ‘No, seriously, your house is on fire. You have to get out.’”
They left the home and no one was injured.
It appears a firework landed on the wood shake roof, starting a blaze which destroyed much of it. Firefighters put it out before it could do much damage to the rest of the house, Bartlett said.
“Ten to 15 more minutes would have made a difference in the whole roof burning down and the fire potentially getting into the house,” he said.
He said he spotted the smoke while cleaning up after a Fourth of July parade downtown.