BELLEVUE — A warning was issued to residents of Bellevue about the dangers of fentanyl after two teenagers survive accidental overdoses minutes apart.
The two Bellevue High School students believed they were taking the pain-killing drug Percocet, but authorities believe the pills were fentanyl or laced with fentanyl, KOMO-TV reported Wednesday.
Bellevue Police Department confirmed CPR was used on the 17-year-old boy from Bellevue and Narcan was used to revive the 18-year-old boy from Yarrow Point.
Both boys told police that the pills were bought from the street, detectives said, adding that cartels are making high-quality pills that look like real prescription pills.
“You just can’t assume anymore that any pill that you get off the street is legitimate. The only way it’s legitimate is if you got it from your pharmacist,” Department Detective Jim Keene said.
An investigation into where the pills came from is underway.
An educational video is available to educate residents and remind people of the dangers of buying pills on the street, authorities said.
“Now the message has changed,” Keene said. “We can’t even really worry about addiction, we have to worry about life and death. One pill, sometimes the first pill you take, can be lethal.”