The Snohomish Carnegie Foundation is proud to announce we have received a donation from Weyerhaeuser Timberlands. This donation consists of cedar shake material, valued at $1,500, and will replace the existing roof on the shelter protecting our city’s historic log on the Carnegie grounds. A big thank you goes to Weyerhaeuser Timberlands and Eric Fritch, owner of Chinook Lumber. Eric has long been committed to the values and success of our city and its community and is responsible for securing this donation from Weyerhaeuser. Our board members are working closely with the city’s parks staff in coordinating the repair work on the shelter this year. Foundation members and supporters are donating their time and labor for this important project.
This historic log was donated to the city in 1940 by Lervick Logging Co. It was paraded up First Street on KlaHaYa Days and then ceremonially placed at the Carnegie grounds. Imagine, this Douglas fir was 620 years old when it was cut in 1940. That means it was a seedling in the Lake Roesiger area in 1318! It represents and honors the city’s historic roots in the timber industry and is surely deserving of preservation and protection as we move toward the Carnegie Library Building and Grounds restoration.
Our community is marching ever closer to the day that the Carnegie site will be fully restored and once again open to the public for cultural, recreational and educational purposes. A true destination site.
Melody Clemans, president
Snohomish Carnegie Foundation