Beltre’s three-run homer lifts Mariners

  • Associated Press
  • Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:59pm
  • Sports

CLEVELAND — Adrian Beltre’s tiebreaking three-run homer and Seattle’s five-run ninth inning Tuesday night didn’t quite satisfy manager John McLaren.

He expects much more from the Mariners’ offense.

“We’re getting impatient around here,” McLaren said. “We need to step up. Tonight they did, but we need some more. We’ve given them a month and there are options we can turn to. I hate to say that on a good game, but we’ve got to get some guys going.”

Beltre broke a 2-2 tie and Yuniesky Betancourt added a two-run single as Seattle tied a season high with 15 hits in a 7-2 victory over the Cleveland Indians.

“It wasn’t a very good night,” said Cleveland manager Eric Wedge, who expressed his own displeasure at his club’s offense. The Indians have scored two or fewer runs in four of their last six games, including three straight losses.

“We didn’t have a whole lot going on,” Wedge said. “We can’t be afraid, have to stick our nose in there with two outs, and we’re not even close to doing that.”

The Mariners got untracked in the ninth, sending 11 men to bat and getting six hits and five runs.

Jose Lopez singled off Rafael Betancourt (1-1) to start the rally and took second on a soft single by Raul Ibanez. Beltre then hit an 0-1 pitch the opposite way to right for his fifth homer and a 5-2 lead.

“It was a fastball away and it felt really good to hit it out,” Beltre said. “I’m not quite there yet, the team isn’t either, but we’re not as bad as some people think. I don’t see why we should panic. It’s only been 25 games.”

Mark Lowe (1-1) pitched 1 1-3 innings for the win. He came on to strike out Jhonny Peralta and end the eighth after Cleveland tied it 2-2 on an RBI groundout by Travis Hafner.

Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore had two doubles and scored twice in his return after missing two games with a sprained right ankle. Sizemore scored on a first-inning double by David Dellucci and drew a leadoff walk against Seattle starter Carlos Silva to start Cleveland’s tying rally in the eighth.

Jose Vidro had a pair of RBI doubles off Indians starter Fausto Carmona. Vidro’s looping double to left scored Ibanez in the third, tying it at 1. Ibanez had reached when his two-out grounder was misplayed by second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera for an error.

Vidro’s two-out double made it 2-1 in the fifth.

Carmona allowed one earned run and eight hits over 6 2-3 innings. The right-hander, who went 19-8 with a 3.06 ERA a year ago, walked four, including Beltre three times.

“Walks are good,” Beltre said, “especially off such a good pitcher. I was getting on base and giving my teammates a chance. That’s OK.”

Silva, trying to become the first Seattle starter to open 4-0 since Jamie Moyer in 2005, took a 2-1 lead into the eighth. The right-hander, signed to a four-year, $48 million contract in December, gave up two runs and seven hits over seven-plus innings.

Assistant trainer Rob Nodine went to the mound to check on Silva as he warmed up to start the eighth. The 29-year-old, who had left his previous start in Baltimore in the seventh inning with tightness in his right thigh, stayed in the game.

“We saw Carlos flip his arm around in a circle and we wanted to make sure he was OK,” McLaren said.

Silva said he had no problems: “I felt fine all the way. It didn’t even feel cold.”

The first-pitch temperature was 47 degrees and a light drizzle fell for a few innings — almost balmy conditions compared to the Mariners’ trip to town last April, when the four-game series was snowed out.

McLaren, wearing a windbreaker during pregame practice, glanced at the overcast sky and said wryly, “Looks like the snow is coming.”

McLaren said last year’s postponements played havoc with the Mariners all season: “It seemed like every off day, we got on a charter plane to go play in Cleveland.”

The Mariners came back to Cleveland for single games on May 21, June 11 and Aug. 30, and played a unique doubleheader at Seattle’s Safeco Field in September with the Indians the home team for one game.

Notes: Wedge benched 1B Ryan Garko, who is in an 0-for-23 slump.

… Hafner went 0-for-4 and is hitting .137 (7-for-51) over his last 14 games. … Vidro has a team-leading seven multi-RBI games. … Beltre’s four previous homers this season were solo shots. … Indians OF Franklin Gutierrez went 3-for-4. … Indians C Victor Martinez is batting .372 (16-for-43) during an 11-game hitting streak.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Meadowdale’s Mia Brockmeyer drives to the hoop during the game against Shorewood on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale advances to district semis

Archbishop Murphy and King’s clinch State berths at districts on Saturday.

Snohomish’s Grady Rohrich yells after beating Meadowdale on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish boys come back, advance to district semis

Down 13 points entering the fourth quarter, the Panthers clawed back against Everett.

Shorecrest, Lake Stevens win districts

Prep boys swimming roundup for Saturday, Feb. 14: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Archbishop Murphy junior Kyla Fryberg pries the ball from Anacortes junior Aubrey Michael during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy girls smother Anacortes in district quarterfinals

The Wildcats allow just two points in second half of 76-18 win on Thursday.

Shorewood’s Maya Glasser reaches up to try and block a layup by Shorecrest’s Anna Usitalo during the 3A district playoff game on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025 in Shoreline, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Usitalo shines as Scots move on

Shorecrest’s star scores 32 as Shorecrest extends season at districts on Thursday.

Seattle Seahawks kicker Jason Myers boots one of his five field goals against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks Jason Myers felt nervous calm Super Bowl

Seattle’s long-time kicker was alarmed by his own comfort level prior to five field goals.

Everett sophomore Noah Owens drives against Lynnwood senior Jaikin Choy during the Seagulls' 57-48 win against the Royals in the District 1 3A Round of 12 at Norm Lowery Gymnasium on Feb. 11, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Everett boys basketball ends Lynnwood’s late-season push

The Seagulls advance to third straight district quarterfinals with 57-48 win on Wednesday.

Meadowdale’s Noah Million reacts after making a three point shot during the game against Snohomish on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale hangs on, advances in districts

The Mavericks survive a late comeback bid to preserve their season in the opening round on Wednesday.

Seahawks head coach Mike Macdonald walks through Lumen Field with the Lombardi Trophy during a Super Bowl celebration at Lumen Field in Seattle, Washington on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks, fans celebrate title at Lumen Field

Super Bowl champions speak to a full Stadium on Wednesday before embarking for parade.

Marysville Getchell's Eyobed Angelo runs through a tunnel made up of his peers from the student section during the pregame introductions for the Chargers unified basketball game against Arlington at Marysville Getchell High School on Feb 9, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Marysville Getchell, Arlington ‘Pack the Gym’ for unified basketball

The Chargers, Eagles rally behind athletes in festive night for both programs on Monday.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Riq Woolen (27) celebrates after New England Patriots quarterback Drake Maye was sacked during Super Bowl LX at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Cornerback Riq Woolen on his Seahawks future: ‘Up to them’

Several key Seattle players became free agents after Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.