Guillen’s RBI single lifts Tigers over Chisox in 10

DETROIT — The Detroit Tigers beat the Chicago White Sox with bouncers and dribblers, and the victory wasn’t any less satisfying.

Detroit tied the game against Bobby Jenks in the ninth inning, then won it 4-3 off D.J. Carrasco in the 10th — all without hitting a single ball hard.

That was certainly true of Carlos Guillen’s winning single — a slow bouncer up the middle that just eluded White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez. Clete Thomas scored from second, easily beating DeWayne Wise’s throw to the plate.

“When I hit it, I knew it was going to get over the mound, and I thought it had a good chance of getting through,” Guillen said. “That’s a fun way to win.”

Guillen was playing his third game since coming off the disabled list before Friday’s doubleheader. He had been out since early May with shoulder problems.

“I’m excited to be back, and I’m happy that I’m helping us win,” said Guillen, who had two hits and two RBIs.

Detroit trailed 3-2 going into the ninth, and Jenks struck out Ryan Raburn to start the inning. Brandon Inge and pinch-hitter Marcus Thames singled, putting runners on the corners, but Ramon Santiago popped out.

Curtis Granderson then grounded a tying double just inside the first-base bag, but Jenks retired Placido Polanco to send the game into extras.

“Bobby was pitching good, but they hit a couple bloopers and then a ground ball in the right place at the right time,” Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said. “Not much you can do about that.”

Jenks has a 9.45 ERA in his last six outings, and has now blown back-to-back save opportunities.

“I’m not even mad about this one,” he said. “The way things had gone in the last week, we had worked on stuff mechanically, and we got the little kinks worked out. Tonight, everything was sharp, but I got beat on bloopers and a ball that was fair for maybe 2 seconds.”

After Fernando Rodney (1-2) pitched a scoreless top of the 10th, Thomas led off the 10th with a base hit off Carrasco (3-1) and took second on Miguel Cabrera’s bloop single.

“You really couldn’t see because of the shadows, so we were just doing the best we could,” Thomas said. “I don’t know how Curtis even saw the pitch he hit, much less did anything with it.”

Guillen fouled off a 2-2 pitch before hitting his chopper up the middle to give the Tigers three wins over Chicago in two days.

“We had a great, sold-out crowd today, and we sent them home happy,” Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. “If we pitch well tomorrow, we’ll get momentum from this. If we don’t, we won’t.”

Ozzie Guillen jokingly blamed the sudden losing streak on Mark Buerhle’s perfect game Thursday.

“When he pitched his last no-hitter in 2007, we lost five in a row, and now we’ve lost three,” he said. “Mark Buerhle, this is all your fault.”

Chicago starter Gavin Floyd allowed two runs — one earned — in 6 2-3 innings, while Detroit’s Edwin Jackson gave up three runs in seven innings.

The Tigers took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on Cabrera’s RBI single and a run-scoring groundout by Guillen, but didn’t get another runner in scoring position until Gerald Laird’s seventh-inning double.

A.J. Pierzynski’s second-inning homer brought Chicago within 2-1, and they took the lead with a pair of runs in the fifth.

Chris Getz led off with a single and scored on Gordon Beckham’s double. Scott Podsednik followed with an RBI single to make it 3-2.

NOTES: The Tigers offically purchased the contract of reliever Casey Fien from Triple-A Toledo on Saturday. The team had announced the move Friday after optioning RHP Eddie Bonine back to Toledo. … Jackson had a quality start for the seventh straight game, the longest streak of his career. … Detroit hadn’t won an extra-inning game at home in over a year. They were 0-3 since beating the Cardinals on June 26, 2008. … Getz stole second in the sixth inning, his 11th straight steal without being caught.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Snohomish senior Siena Capelli charges up the court during the Panthers' 47-36 win against Meadowdale in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls get redemption in district semis

The Panthers defeat Meadowdale 47-36 on Wednesday after missing state last season.

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Seattle Seahawks players celebrate following their Super Bowl LX victory over the New England Patriots at Levi Stadium. (Kindell Buchanan/PA Wire/dpa/TNS)
New era incoming: Super Bowl-champion Seahawks officially for sale

Once finalized, the new ownership will impact both the business and football operations.

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Anna Usitalo’s 37 leads Shorecrest girls past Ferndale

Lakewood boys move one step closer to state Wednesday with win over Burlington-Edison.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Seattle Seahawks’ Kenneth Walker III and Super Bowl MVP high fives fans lined up along 4th Avenue during the Seahawks World Champions Parade on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026 in Seattle, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Ranking the Seahawks’ unrestricted free agents

Riq Woolen and Ken Walker highlight a loaded class of extension candidates.

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Lakewood boys stay alive with district win

The Cougars fend off Storm Monday to reach tournament consolation final.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.