Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners prepares to bat against the Kansas City Royals during the game at Kauffman Stadium on Aug.17, 2004, in Kansas City, Missouri.  (Dave Kaup / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)

Will Ichiro be a baseball Hall of Fame’s unanimous selection?

The former Seattle star would be only second player to enter with 100 percent of votes.

  • C. Trent Rosecrans, The Athletic
  • Wednesday, January 15, 2025 2:00pm
  • SportsMariners

Could Ichiro Suzuki become the second-ever player unanimously voted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum? Will Billy Wagner pick up the five votes he missed last year to gain entry in his final year of eligibility? Will CC Sabathia make it to Cooperstown on his first try?

Heading into the Jan. 21 announcement of the Hall of Fame voting results, all three scenarios are on the table.

The voting is conducted by the nearly 400 eligible voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America; all of the 151 ballots logged on Ryan Thibodaux’s Baseball Hall of Fame tracker as of Tuesday afternoon have the box next to Suzuki’s name checked.

To this point, only famed Yankee closer Mariano Rivera has been elected to the Hall of Fame unanimously — not Babe Ruth, not Hank Aaron, not Ken Griffey Jr. nor Derek Jeter, just Rivera. Could Suzuki be the second?

Thibodaux said he doesn’t expect an answer to that until after the results are official.

“We haven’t seen him left off of any ballots yet and my guess is we won’t see one up until the results are announced,” Thibodaux said in a direct message on Bluesky earlier this week. “If anyone left him off, we likely won’t find out until after, if at all.”

Jeter was left off one ballot in 2020 and Griffey three in 2016.

Voters are not required to make their ballots public, but the Hall of Fame does allow voters to check a box on the ballot to release their selections following the announcement of the voting. Last year, a total of 385 ballots were returned, with 306 voters choosing to make their ballot public. Neither the voter who passed over Jeter in 2020 nor the three who left Griffey off their ballots in 2016 have been revealed.

Suzuki is not the only candidate trending towards induction. Sabathia is on 140, or 92.7 percent, which bodes well for the first-year nominee.

“I’ll admit to being a bit surprised at the strength of CC’s support so far. I had him eyeballed as perhaps a 75 percent bubble candidate, but he’s breezed along so far and has comfortably been in the low 90s for most of ballot season,” Thibodaux wrote. “Unless the late public and private voters have a wildly different evaluation of Sabathia’s credentials, it looks like he’ll be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.”

Wagner is on the ballot for the 10th and final time. After just missing the 75 percent mark a year ago, he’s trending steadily toward induction. As of Tuesday afternoon, he was at 84.1 percent on the public ballots.

Carlos Beltrán was at 79.5 percent of the vote as of Tuesday afternoon and Andruw Jones was just below the threshold at 74.2 percent. According to Thibodaux, last year those who made their ballots public before the announcement averaged 7.55 votes per ballot. Voters who waited until after the announcement averaged 6.77 votes per ballot and private ballots averaged 5.8 names. Thibodaux, who began tracking balloting in 2012, said those trends have been steady through the years.

The current voting totals are not encouraging for Beltrán or Jones in relation to their 2025 hopes, but it is a positive for eventual induction. Next year’s first-year eligible class doesn’t have any players who have a career bWAR of 60 or more, such as Suzuki (60) and Sabathia (62.3). The top first-year players on next year’s ballot are Cole Hamels (59 bWAR) and Ryan Braun (47.1 bWAR).

Jaffe said the strength of Sabathia’s support bodes well for the future of not just Sabathia, but also Andy Pettitte, Félix Hernández, Mark Buehrle and Hamels.

“Andy Pettitte and Félix Hernández are almost diametrically opposed in terms of how they’ve gotten to this point, Pettitte with a very workmanlike career and a huge volume of postseason work that was very important in helping teams get to and win the World Series,” Jaffe said. “Félix had a very high peak and a lack of longevity, early burnout and no postseason experience.”

Pettitte, on the ballot for the seventh time, was at 31.8 percent as of Tuesday afternoon. Last year, Pettitte received 52 (13.5 percent) votes and this year he is already marked on 48 ballots, indicating a significant jump. Hernández, in his first year on the ballot, was on 25.2 percent of the votes revealed by Tuesday afternoon.

While the focus on voting is always on the 75 percent line needed for induction, the other marker to watch is the 5 percent needed to stay on the ballot.

Of the 14 names on the ballot for the first time, seven had not received a public vote as of Tuesday morning. Of the remaining seven first-year eligible players, only Suzuki, Sabathia, Hernández and Dustin Pedroia (12.6 percent) have received the necessary five percent to stay on the ballot.

That means 10 players are in danger of falling off the ballot, including a pair of catchers in Russell Martin (4.6 percent) and Brian McCann (4 percent) who would fall off the ballot after just their first year. Also facing the possibility of not receiving 5 percent are Torii Hunter (1.3 percent), who is on the ballot for the fifth time, and Francisco Rodríguez (7.9 percent), who is on the ballot for the third year. Mark Buehrle, on his fifth ballot, has 19 votes as of Tuesday morning, which will be enough to keep him on the ballot another year as long as no more than 380 ballots are returned. One more vote for Buehrle between Tuesday afternoon and next week’s announcement would guarantee the longtime Chicago White Sox starter a spot on next year’s ballot.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Snohomish junior Lizzie Allyn brings the ball up the court in the Panthers' 58-22 win against Edmonds-Woodway in the District 1 3A Championship at Jackson High School on Feb. 21, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls basketball cruises to District 1 3A title

The Panthers suffocate Edmonds-Woodway in 58-22 win on Saturday for second title in three years.

Shorewood junior Thomas Moles (right) applies pressure to Snohomish junior Grant Smith at half court during the Stormrays' 51-36 win against the Panthers in the District 1 3A Championship at Jackson High School on Feb. 21, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys basketball captures District 1 3A title

The Stormrays’ defense, hot shooting leads to 51-36 win against Snohomish on Saturday.

Lake Stevens' Jillian Hradec reacts after winning the 4A girls 155-pound championship match at the Mat Classic on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026 in Tacoma, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls wrestling wins 4A State Championship

The Vikings claim the program’s first-ever team title at Mat Classic XXXVII on Friday.

Arlington's Tre Haines claps after winning the 4A boys 165-pound championship match at the Mat Classic on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026 in Tacoma, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Arlington’s Tre Haines secures fourth state wrestling title

The senior becomes 29th person in state history to achieve feat at Mat Classic XXXVII on Friday.

Edmonds-Woodway's Andreas Simonsen lays the ball in against Everett during a district basketball game on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026 at Jackson H.S. in Mill Creek. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway boys’ balance overwhelms upstart Everett

The Warriors showed their experience in a 69-39 win to clinch a state berth and eliminate Everett on Saturday.

Meadowdale's Lexi Zardis goes for a layup against Shorecrest during a district basketball game on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026 at Jackson H.S. in Mill Creek. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Meadowdale girls down Shorecrest for state spot

The Mavericks hit tough shots all game to outpace the Scots at districts on Saturday.

Lake Stevens, Stanwood girls survive and advance to state Saturday

Prep girls basketball roundup for Saturday, Feb. 21: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Monroe, Lakewood earn state bids

Prep boys basketball roundup for Saturday, Feb. 21: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Glacier Peak junior Edison Kan positions himself in front of Lake Washington senior Hunter Phipps during the Grizzlies 60-59 loss to the Kangaroos in the District 1/2 4A semifinals at Glacier Peak High School on Feb. 19, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Glacier Peak boys basketball stunned in district semis

The previously undefeated Grizzlies fall to Lake Washington in 60-59 loss at buzzer on Thursday.

Lake Stevens girls basketball's Noelani Tupua shoots over Glacier Peak's Layla King during a district playoff game on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026 at Woodinville H.S. in Woodinville. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls basketball overcomes GP to stay alive

The Grizzlies forced nearly 30 turnovers, but Lake Stevens clamped down in a Thursday loser-out win.

Tulalip Heritage boys advance to tri-district title game

Lake Stevens boys, Granite Falls girls among teams eliminated Thursday.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.