One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.