Site Logo

Rams to start Trent Green vs. Bills

Published 11:29 pm Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ST. LOUIS — Marc Bulger is out as the St. Louis Rams starting quarterback after throwing only two touchdown passes in three games and will be replaced by 38-year-old Trent Green for Sunday’s game against Buffalo.

The benching of the Rams’ highest-paid player, announced by coach Scott Linehan in a terse, two-paragraph release on Tuesday, signals just how desperate times have become for the sagging franchise. Linehan is 11-24 in his third season, including 0-3 this year with none of the games competitive.

Last week, Linehan was told by new owner Chip Rosenbloom that improvements need to be made or that changes would be forthcoming. This is Linehan’s first head coaching job at any level.

The team said in the release that Linehan would not comment on his decision until after practice today.

“Scott made an announcement, and he’ll amplify it tomorrow,” team spokesman Rick Smith said.

The Rams have lost 16 of their past 19 games while getting outscored 116-29. The point total would not have been enough to win any of the first three games, and their 240-yard total in Sunday’s 37-13 loss at Seattle was still a season best for the league’s lowest-ranked offense.

Bulger finished 18-for-31 for 184 yards with one touchdown and an interception on Sunday, his third consecutive game with less than 200 passing yards.

Green has experience under new offensive coordinator Al Saunders and quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, possible reasons for the switch. Green earned his second Pro Bowl berth in 2005 with the Chiefs while working under those two coaches.