Fire investigators on Tuesday were on the scene of the Waterfront Place Apartments in Everett, which were under construction when they burned July 16. (Chuck Taylor / The Herald)

Fire investigators on Tuesday were on the scene of the Waterfront Place Apartments in Everett, which were under construction when they burned July 16. (Chuck Taylor / The Herald)

So far, nothing suspicious about big Everett waterfront fire

Investigators are still seeking the cause of a blaze that leveled under-construction apartments.

EVERETT — A preliminary investigation found no evidence to suggest criminal activity caused a four-alarm fire that destroyed half of the Waterfront Place Apartments project, authorities said Thursday.

However, the cause of the fire is unknown and investigators are continuing to “bring all the pieces together,” the Everett Fire Department said in a news release Thursday.

“There is still a fair amount of work to do with the investigation,” said Rachael Doniger, a department spokesperson.

The Everett waterfront’s 266-unit apartment complex had been under construction for nearly a year when the southern of two buildings erupted into a four-story inferno last week. In about an hour, it was gone.

The loss was estimated estimated at $25 million to $30 million, for the apartment building alone.

The north building of Waterfront Place, with a planned 135 homes, did not sustain any serious structural damage. Damage estimates for that part of the development — as well as homes hundreds of feet away that also caught fire — were still being calculated.

The project’s developers, SeaLevel Properties and Gracorp, are committed to rebuilding the burned structure, a Port of Everett spokesperson told The Daily Herald last week. The developers did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Once the development caught fire July 16, strong winds carried embers and ash east toward Everett’s Northwest neighborhood, which features historic homes that overlook Port Gardner.

Dozens of firefighters from throughout the county were on scene to assist. Two were injured, both receiving minor burns to their hands.

In a frenzy, residents used garden hoses to douse their roofs, porches and lawns to protect against the incoming embers. Two houses, one on Grand Avenue and another on Rucker Avenue, caught fire.

Fire crews arrived from as far south as Shoreline, Bothell, Northshore and Woodinville. A ladder crew from Arlington extinguished the Rucker Avenue house fire.

At least 53 vehicles — engines, ladder trucks, ambulances and so on — were also on scene to combat the flames.

Meanwhile, hundreds of onlookers watched the spectacle from Grand Avenue Park.

Once the fire was contained, investigators from the Everett Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab and several nearby fire agencies helped with the investigation.

On Tuesday, Port of Everett CEO Lisa Lefeber, John Shaw of SeaLevel Properties and Giuseppe Augello of Gracorp put out a statement thanking the first responders and neighbors for their effort to combat the fire.

“This was an all hands-on-deck effort, and an exemplary example of a community that comes together when it matters most,” the statement said. “We look forward to rebuilding and realizing our collective vision for the waterfront and its future.”

Joey Thompson: 425-339-3449; Twitter: @byjoeythompson.

Talk to us

More in Local News

County grows ‘no-shooting’ zone after bullet just misses child

The Snohomish County Council voted Wednesday to prohibit shooting in two areas on Monroe’s outskirts.

Possible rare ‘seven-armed octopus’ found on Whidbey beach

Scientists from across the nation believe it’s most likely a specimen of Haliphron atlanticus.

Teenagers charged in trio of robberies in Snohomish County

They allegedly stole cash, cigarettes and marijuana from shops in Everett, Lynnwood and Bothell.

Police: Burglars stole thousands in cash from Mukilteo home

Officers shared images of the suspects and are asking for help identifying them.

Inmate, 34, dies at the Snohomish County Jail

The sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit is investigating. There were no obvious signs of what caused his death.

Anacortes woman identified in death at Arlington park

Amanda D. Smith was 43. Police are seeking tips about her “suspicious” death.

‘Good employee’ allegedly stole $50K from Cathcart gas station

Prosecutors say the former manager fraudulently took scratch lottery tickets from his store.

Vacancies could affect key county functions, officials warn

With a COVID-induced hiring freeze and budget talks looming, departments say they have been strapped.

Most Read