The Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Lynnwood on Wednesday. (Joey Thompson / The Herald)

The Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Lynnwood on Wednesday. (Joey Thompson / The Herald)

After shutdown, Lynnwood’s Chuck E. Cheese is cleaning up

It is unknown if health code violations were related to 8 who reported intestinal illnesses.

LYNNWOOD — A Chuck E. Cheese was closed by the Snohomish Health District on Tuesday because of health code violations. Eight people reported gastrointestinal illnesses after visiting the food and entertainment center over the weekend.

Heather Thomas, health district spokeswoman, said the closure was prompted after a safety team went to Chuck E. Cheese at 3717 196th St. SW in Lynnwood.

“While they were there they identified a number of health code violations,” she said. “There were some hand-washing concerns and they did not have hot water. Some of the food worker cards were missing for their employees.”

Thomas said there has been an uptick in norovirus-like illnesses reported in the county. It was unknown whether Chuck E. Cheese was the source or if the illness is norovirus.

The busy place with the cartoon mouse and pizza was ordered closed for a minimum of 48 hours and can open after it passes a health inspection.

”They will have to clean all the toys, all the balls in the ball pit,” Thomas said. “It might take them a while.”

Workers will also need to clean the usual tables, chairs and napkin dispensers.

“At this point, we haven’t had a report of any of the workers being sick,” Thomas said.

She said Chuck E. Cheese and its employees are cooperating.

“Schools, daycares and other places where large numbers of children play — like Chuck E. Cheese — can be prime spots for the germs to spread quickly,” said Dr. Chris Spitters, interim health officer, in a news release. “It’s a great reminder for parents and caregivers to teach and model good hand-washing habits for kids.”

Gastrointestinal illnesses like norovirus can spread quickly and are often mistakenly called stomach flu. The virus causes stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting because the stomach, intestines or both get inflamed. Symptoms include a sudden onset of illness, usually 24 to 48 hours after exposure. It can also include headaches, chills, a low-grade fever, muscle aches and tiredness.

Those who get sick after eating in any restaurant should contact the Communicable Disease Surveillance line at 425-339-5278.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Motorcyclist identified in fatal crash near Lake Stevens

Anthony Palko, 33, died Monday night after colliding with a passenger car. The juveniles in the car were taken to the hospital.

Marysville
Police: Marysville man shot sword-wielding roommate in self-defense

The roommates were arguing over eBay sales, according to police. Then one of them allegedly brandished a two-foot sword.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Lake Stevens in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Everett boy, 12, identified as Davies Beach drowning victim

Malachi Bell was one of three swimmers in distress Sunday in Lake Stevens. He did not survive.

Everett
Port of Everett hosting annual open house after pandemic hiatus

Also, Rustic Cork Wine Bar plans to open a second shop at Fisherman’s Harbor — the latest addition to the port’s “wine walk.”

Arlington Public Works employees use The Big Sidewalk Sucker to lift a concrete panel from the sidewalk. The device saves the city some money and time to level ground below the concrete. (Arlington Public Works)
This thing sucks and helps repair sidewalks in Arlington

Public works crews can remove heavy concrete panels from sidewalks, so the ground underneath can be restored.

New LGI Homes on Thursday, May 12, 2022 in Sultan, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Red-hot housing market cools, a bit, in Snohomish County

The amount of housing inventory is rising. Demand is slowing. Higher mortgage rates are a cause.

John McKeon stands in front of a mobile headquarters vehicle while discussing the funding needs of Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue on Wednesday, June 22, 2022, at the search and rescue headquarters in Snohomish, Washington. McKeon said a priority for the group is to find money for new covered parking for a number of vehicles that do not have a garage to be parked in. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue wants rescuing

They’re asking for nearly $1 million in federal recovery dollars, but funding has been hard to come by.

Mike Kersey with Aiya Moore, daughter of Christina Anderson, right, talk about the condition of Nick’s Place in Everett, Washington on June 17, 2022.  (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
‘We’re all good people when we get clean and sober’

Who has fentanyl taken from us? A messenger who saved lives. A “street mom.” A grandpa who loved his grandkids “999 trillion times.”

Snohomish County Superior Courthouse in Everett, Washington on February 8, 2022.  (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Bailiff’s comments leads to appeal of child rape conviction

Joseph Hall, of Snohomish, was sentenced to more than 13 years in prison. Now he faces another trial.

Most Read