M’s notebook: Seattle promotes SS Taylor, 1B/DH Montero

SEATTLE — While awaiting Kendrys Morales’ prodigal return, the Mariners also sought to bolster their scuffling attack by promoting shortstop Chris Taylor and first baseman/DH Jesus Montero from Class AAA Tacoma.

Both started Thursday’s series opener against Baltimore at Safeco Field. While Montero could merely be holding space for Morales, who is expected to arrive Friday, Taylor appears likely to get steady duty.

“I would say,” manager Lloyd McClendon confirmed, “he’ll get his fair share of playing time.”

Taylor, 23, was batting .328 in 75 games for the Rainiers with five homers and 37 RBI and was recently picked as the Pacific Coast League’s top player in the Class AAA All-Star Game.

“Overwhelmed,” Taylor said. “I found out this morning and couldn’t be more thrilled. It’s a dream come true. Being able to call my parents … it was tough to hold it together.

“That moment is something you’re never going to forget. Talking to them on the phone, and hearing their voices, and how excited they were, it’s just an indescribable feeling.”

The Mariners cleared space for Taylor and Montero by optioning right-handed pitcher Taijuan Walker to Tacoma and placing infielder Willie Bloomquist on the disabled list.

Bloomquist, 36, suffered a bruised right knee Wednesday while running out a RBI ground out in a 3-2 loss to the New York Mets. He is scheduled to undergo a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam.

“He’s really sore,” McClendon said. “The fact is, where we are, we can’t play without a utility infielder. It just doesn’t make sense. You have to have a backup infielder in case something happens.”

Miller is a right-handed hitter whose arrival means less playing time for shortstop Brad Miller, a left-handed hitter who is batting .205 with eight homers and 26 RBI in 86 games.

“I think the fact (Miller) is right-handed was a factor in this decision,” general manager Jack Zduriencik said. “And he was producing and playing very well in Triple-A … We’ll see. Let the best man win.”

The Mariners were poised to promote Taylor earlier in the season, but he suffered a broken baby finger on his left hand while sliding into second base on May 13 at Las Vegas.

Taylor was batting .372 through 35 games at the time of his injury. He missed four weeks and struggled initially on his return — going 7-for-45 in his first 12 games.

Since then: .339 in 28 games with a .409 on-base percentage and a .438 slugging percentage.

“It’s always frustrating when you can’t play and can’t be on the field,” Taylor said. “The timing of it all, because I was feeling so good and seeing the ball really well, was really frustrating.

“That’s baseball. Things like that happen all of the time. I’m just glad to be back now and be in Seattle.”

Montero’s swing

Montero’s return to the big leagues could be brief — in as much as McClendon has already said he plans for Morales to serve as the regular DH and to use a platoon of Corey Hart and Logan Morrison at first base.

Even so, Montero’s promotion followed a 21-for-47 surge at Tacoma that included five doubles, five homers and 18 RBI over the last 12 games.

It also reflected a growing comfort with his new batting stance; an exaggerated open stance that initially presents his chest toward the pitcher before he pulls his left foot back in when the pitch is delivered.

“I kept doing it,” Montero said, “and now I feel comfortable. I get a better look at the pitcher. Now, (my stance) is more like (former big-leaguer) Andres Galarraga.

“I get to see the pitcher better, and that helps me to be more patient.”

Montero said he began to make the move while on his last promotion with the Mariners from June 12-27. He converted to the approach, with the help of Tacoma hitting coach Cory Snyder, after returning to the minors.

“It’s been working really well,” Montero said. “I was hitting the ball really well in Tacoma.”

Venezuelan prospect

Outfielder Brayan Hernandez, a 16-year-old from Venezuela, hasn’t yet signed officially with the Mariners, but he took batting practice with the big-league club prior to Thursday’s game against the Orioles.

The Mariners have an agreement in place with Hernandez, which is believed to include a signing bonus of $1.85 million. The international signing period began July 2.

Hernandez, who is 6 feet 1 and 170 pounds, was ranked by Baseball America as this year’s No. 3 international prospect.

Looking back

It was 23 years ago Friday — July 25, 1991 — that ex-Yankee Jay Buhner hit what was then the longest homer at the old Yankee Stadium since its 1975 refurbishment.

Buhner’s drive came in the second inning against Yankees starter Wade Taylor and soared an estimated 479 feet over the ambulance that was always parked in the left-center-field entryway.

The Mariners won 6-3 with current broadcaster Bill Krueger getting the victory. Krueger allowed three unearned runs in six innings.

On deck

The Mariners and Orioles continue their four-game series at 7:10 p.m. Friday at Safeco Field. Right-hander Felix Hernandez (11-2 with a 2.02 ERA) will face Baltimore right-hander Kevin Gausman (4-3, 4.04).

Root Sports will broadcast the game.

The series continues with 1:10 p.m. games on Saturday and Sunday. The Mariners have an open date Monday before embarking on a road trip for three games in Cleveland and three more in Baltimore.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Meadowdale’s Mia Brockmeyer drives to the hoop during the game against Shorewood on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale advances to district semis

Archbishop Murphy and King’s clinch State berths at districts on Saturday.

Snohomish’s Grady Rohrich yells after beating Meadowdale on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish boys come back, advance to district semis

Down 13 points entering the fourth quarter, the Panthers clawed back against Everett.

Shorecrest, Lake Stevens win districts

Prep boys swimming roundup for Saturday, Feb. 14: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Archbishop Murphy junior Kyla Fryberg pries the ball from Anacortes junior Aubrey Michael during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy girls smother Anacortes in district quarterfinals

The Wildcats allow just two points in second half of 76-18 win on Thursday.

Shorewood’s Maya Glasser reaches up to try and block a layup by Shorecrest’s Anna Usitalo during the 3A district playoff game on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025 in Shoreline, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Usitalo shines as Scots move on

Shorecrest’s star scores 32 as Shorecrest extends season at districts on Thursday.

Seattle Seahawks kicker Jason Myers boots one of his five field goals against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks Jason Myers felt nervous calm Super Bowl

Seattle’s long-time kicker was alarmed by his own comfort level prior to five field goals.

Everett sophomore Noah Owens drives against Lynnwood senior Jaikin Choy during the Seagulls' 57-48 win against the Royals in the District 1 3A Round of 12 at Norm Lowery Gymnasium on Feb. 11, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Everett boys basketball ends Lynnwood’s late-season push

The Seagulls advance to third straight district quarterfinals with 57-48 win on Wednesday.

Meadowdale’s Noah Million reacts after making a three point shot during the game against Snohomish on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale hangs on, advances in districts

The Mavericks survive a late comeback bid to preserve their season in the opening round on Wednesday.

Seahawks head coach Mike Macdonald walks through Lumen Field with the Lombardi Trophy during a Super Bowl celebration at Lumen Field in Seattle, Washington on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks, fans celebrate title at Lumen Field

Super Bowl champions speak to a full Stadium on Wednesday before embarking for parade.

Marysville Getchell's Eyobed Angelo runs through a tunnel made up of his peers from the student section during the pregame introductions for the Chargers unified basketball game against Arlington at Marysville Getchell High School on Feb 9, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Marysville Getchell, Arlington ‘Pack the Gym’ for unified basketball

The Chargers, Eagles rally behind athletes in festive night for both programs on Monday.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Riq Woolen (27) celebrates after New England Patriots quarterback Drake Maye was sacked during Super Bowl LX at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Cornerback Riq Woolen on his Seahawks future: ‘Up to them’

Several key Seattle players became free agents after Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.