Site Logo

Boy, 16, allegedly threatened to ‘shoot up’ Arlington High

Published 1:30 am Monday, October 8, 2018

ARLINGTON — Prosecutors have filed charges against a teenager over threats involving his former high school.

The boy, 16, was charged last week with misdemeanor cyberstalking.

Arlington High School staff contacted police Sept. 26.

Investigators were told that the boy, a former student, sent others messages on Snapchat, a social media app. The messages contained threats to shoot students on campus, according to a police report.

“I might act a fool might (just) shoot up the school,” one message read.

The suspect was living in south Snohomish County and attending a different school at the time. He was seen twice at Arlington High School in the weeks leading up to the messages, according to police.

One of those times was for a football game. On the other occasion, he was posing as a student. He was escorted outside and ordered not to return.

Police also were told that the boy had talked about getting a .22-caliber gun.

They found a .22-caliber rifle in his home, according to the charges. The boy reportedly said he had no plans to carry out his threat.

He was booked into the Denney Juvenile Justice Center. He appeared in Snohomish County juvenile court Sept. 27 and was released on conditions set by the judge, including that he stay at least 100 yards from Arlington High School.

Arraignment is set for Oct. 22.

The Daily Herald generally does not name defendants in juvenile court. Under state law, cyberstalking refers to harassing or intimidating others through electronic means.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com; Twitter: @rikkiking.