A flag flies in front of the facade of Raytheon’s Integrated Defense Systems facility June 10 in Woburn, Massachusetts. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

A flag flies in front of the facade of Raytheon’s Integrated Defense Systems facility June 10 in Woburn, Massachusetts. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Boeing’s $1 billion ‘kill vehicle’ contract ended by Pentagon

The project’s purpose was to shoot down missiles from North Korea or Iran.

By Roxana Tiron / Bloomberg News

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon canceled a Boeing Co. contract for a “kill vehicle” envisioned to shoot down missiles from North Korea or Iran, the latest setback to a next-generation system that has struggled to prove its effectiveness.

The termination of the Redesigned Kill Vehicle comes as the maker of the interceptor’s warhead, Raytheon Co., continued to struggle with design and manufacturing problems that increased costs, the Missile Defense Agency said in a statement Wednesday. Boeing had received a $1 billion contract in May 2017 for the project.

“Ending the program was the responsible thing to do,” Michael Griffin, the under secretary of defense for research and engineering said in the statement. “After exercising due diligence, we decided the path we’re going down wouldn’t be fruitful, so we’re not going down that path anymore.”

The Defense Department plans start a competition for a new contract to design a next-generation interceptor, according to the statement.

The interceptor had been billed as a major improvement for a $180 billion network of ground- and sea-based missile interceptors, sensors and communications links intended to defend the U.S. from a limited North Korean or Iranian attack by dispatching a missile to crash into and destroy it.

While the Defense Department has claimed progress in missile defense tests against a dummy target, arms control experts have repeatedly said the Pentagon has conducted only tightly controlled tests in which the target warhead can easily be picked out from decoys.

Boeing said in a statement that it accepts the Missile Defense Agency’s decision “and supports the competition for a new, next-generation interceptor.” The Chicago-based aerospace company said “we will continue to support the requirements that our customer sets forth for effective missile defense, just as we have for more than two decades.”

Raytheon didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

The termination is effective Aug. 22, according to Mark Wright, the director of public affairs at the Missile Defense Agency.

Griffin decided to cancel the program on Aug. 14 and had backing from Deputy Defense Secretary David Norquist, according to Wright. The move marks one of the first major contracting decisions since Defense Secretary Mark Esper took office last month. Esper is a former top lobbyist for Raytheon who has promised to recuse himself from most decisions involving the company.

More in Herald Business Journal

Boeing asks that its big state tax break be suspended

The company hopes the move will resolve a trade dispute involving European rival Airbus.

Boeing finds debris in wing fuel tanks of several 737 Maxs

The company did not say what the objects were found, but one report said they included tools and rags.

Charge: Lynnwood tobacco smuggler dodged $1 million in taxes

The man, 57, reportedly dealt in illicit cigarettes. Tax returns claimed he sold hats and T-shirts.

Some dissent emerges on new engineering contract with Boeing

“This is being shoved down our throats,” said one SPEEA council rep.

FAA faces dilemma over 737 Max wiring flaw that Boeing missed

The vulnerability could lead to an emergency similar to the one that brought down two jets.

Everett’s new passenger terminal gets some national love

Paine Field was voted 8th-best among a selection of small airports, some of which aren’t all that small.

United pushes back expected return of grounded Boeing planes

United, Southwest and American are bracing for a second straight summer without their Max planes.

US manufacturing output hit by Boeing troubles, slips 0.1%

Excluding the production of airplanes and parts, factory production rose 0.3%.

Boeing and engineering union agree on new, extended contract

The board of SPEEA will recommend the proposal to its 18,000 members in the Puget Sound area.

Airbus CEO sees no short-term benefit from Boeing Max woes

The European planemaker’s competing A320 is sold out through 2025.

Virus outbreak in China poses a new problem for Boeing

A number of deliveries are ready for Chinese customers who “cannot come to Seattle to take delivery.”

Boeing wins zero orders and delivers just 13 jets in January

Airbus by comparison had a big order month, winning net orders for 274 commercial aircraft.