Getting arrested and taken to jail on suspicion of DUI or other traffic infractions can be a frightening experience.
Receiving legal advice quickly in such situations is critical, says Bellingham-based lawyer Ziad Youssef, owner/operator of MyTrafficMan. A Washington pioneer in using technology to improve access to legal care, Youssef has seen hundreds of people sign up for his company’s free online service, Busted911.com.
If you’re a member and you’re arrested and taken to a local jail, you’ll receive a free call from a lawyer and your emergency contacts will be notified. “They say you can make one phone call, but sometimes that can take hours,” Youssef says.
The timing of the free incoming call can vary depending upon the facility, he says, “but even if we can’t call you, we’re alerting your contacts. The wheels get turning right away because you signed up for the service.”
You’ve got questions about Busted911.com?
- Do I need to pay any money up front? No. This is a free service that allows you to receive up to a $500 value in legal assistance free each time you use it.
- Do I need to pay the lawyer who calls me? No, the first call to you is free. Depending upon your circumstances, you can later take advantage of a free consultation to decide if you want to retain the lawyer.
- What do I need to provide to sign up? Your name, date of birth and contact information. You’ll also need to designate up to two emergency contacts you’d like notified in the event you land in a local jail.
- Is my registration area specific? Yes, you’ll need to specify the jail you want the service to monitor.
- How does the lawyer know to call? If your name appears on a jail roster, a criminal defense lawyer is immediately notified to contact you and help you get released.
- What if I can’t make bail? If necessary, a bail-bond company will also be contacted.
Sign up now, get a chance to score ‘Hawks tickets
People who have signed up for Busted911.com are not only be covered by the benefits of the program, they’ve been entered into a draw for two tickets to a Seattle Seahawks home game at Century Link Field.
The final game for which a winner will be drawn for tickets is the Dec. 29 game against the San Francisco 49ers. Watch mytrafficman.net on Facebook for up-to-date details.