An architectural model of the proposed development of 3,080 waterfront condos at Point Wells near Woodway. (Blue Square Real Estate)

An architectural model of the proposed development of 3,080 waterfront condos at Point Wells near Woodway. (Blue Square Real Estate)

Council affirms ruling against Point Wells condo project

The decision is another setback in BSRE’s 10-year quest to build 3,000 waterfront homes near Woodway.

EVERETT — The Snohomish County Council has once again sided with the county hearing examiner, who rejected a high-rise condominium proposal that has for years drawn criticism from neighbors and government authorities.

The County Council voted 4-0 this month to uphold Hearing Examiner Peter Camp’s January ruling against the Point Wells development proposal, a mix of homes and businesses planned for an industrial site between Puget Sound and a steep hillside near Woodway. Council Chairwoman Stephanie Wright was absent and excused.

Camp, who rejected an earlier version of the project, gave county planning officials permission to deny the proposal “because of substantial conflicts with county code,” including buildings that would be too tall and too close to landslide hazard areas.

Representatives for the developer, BSRE Point Wells, argued in its most recent appeal to the council that the county Planning and Development Services department recommended against the proposal without giving the project team a chance to respond to the issues at hand.

But department staff have maintained that the developer has had years to fix problems with its plan to build the cluster of high-rises, designed to reach heights of about 17 stories.

Nearby residents opposed to the project have also raised concerns about landslides, traffic and the costly environmental cleanup that would need to occur at the site before construction could begin.

An attorney for BSRE did not respond to an email last week requesting comment.

If the project’s backers still intend to pursue approval of the plan, they are running out of options.

They could still appeal the most recent rejection in Superior Court, as they did after Camp denied one iteration of the project in 2018 and the council upheld that decision.

The project team could also submit a revised application proposing shorter buildings, according to county planning staff.

In 2019, King County Superior Court Judge John McHale gave the developer additional time to seek approval for the project.

BSRE “spent significant resources” on its latest land use application, submitted to the county in December 2019, according to Jacque St. Romain, an attorney for BSRE.

“After BSRE submitted the revised application materials, PDS provided no feedback on the application materials and offered no opportunity for the parties to work together to solve any remaining issues,” Romain told the council at a March 31 hearing.

The county also “failed to act in good faith” when it gave new reasons to deny BSRE’s application without providing BSRE so much as “one comment letter,” Romain said during the hearing.

County planning staff have said BSRE hasn’t significantly changed its plans to comply with county code, even though the department has repeatedly pointed out the discrepancies. Instead, its latest application — riddled with errors and inconsistencies — sought exceptions to the rules the plan would break, according to PDS supervisor Ryan Countryman.

The Hearing Examiner agreed that the developer failed to prove any special circumstances that would allow the proposal to be exempt from certain county code provisions.

One of those rules requires setbacks between tall buildings and lower-density residential development.

Another bars buildings higher than 90 feet unless there’s a “high capacity transit route or station” nearby. BSRE has contended that Sound Transit’s Sounder commuter rail, which passes through Point Wells, should be enough to meet that standard.

The county’s chief engineering officer has also denied the developer’s request for a “deviation,” or special consent, to build in those otherwise-prohibited hazard areas.

Rachel Riley: 425-339-3465; rriley@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @rachel_m_riley.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Letter
Oak Harbor legal staff quits over ‘compromised’ relationships

The city attorney and the senior assistant city attorney, who is also the public records officer, both resigned.

Work on the light rail trackway will require over two weeks of overnight closures of 236th Street SW near I-5 in Mountlake Terrace. (Sound Transit)
Overnight closures set for 236th Street in Mountlake Terrace

The closure just east of I-5 means a detour for drivers to reach the interstate until Oct. 14.

The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office released this image of a possible suspect in a homicide at a gas station at 148th Street SW and Highway 99 near Lynnwood. (Snohomish County Sheriff's Office) 20210926
Detectives investigate homicide at gas station near Lynnwood

One person was killed and a suspect was at large, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said.

Zach Graham stands in front of a newly restored Three Fingers Lookout. (Friends of Three Fingers Lookout)
Volunteers give makeover to precarious Three Fingers Lookout

Up high, with cliffs on all sides, the 90-year-old hut got much-needed new windows, shutters and paint.

Arlington son, 19, charged with slaying his father

Nicholi Melum had been yelling at his son, Garner, when he was killed.

Marysville man shot in hand during apparent drug robbery

At least two suspects were being sought, and police are seeking surveillance video.

The city of Everett is pursuing changing its municipal code's language to replace gender-specific pronouns with gender neutral words. Instead of his/her the code would use the specific position or title, such as police officer or public works director. (City of Everett)
Everett considers gender-neutral terms for municipal code

References to “he” or “she” could change to title-specific words such as “firefighter” or “police officer.”

Michealob Johnson (left), 25, is accused of killing Jae An at the Food Mart in the 6900 block of Broadway in Everett. (Caleb Hutton / Herald file)
Trial begins for man who admitted killing a mini-mart clerk

Michealob Johnson is accused of aggravated first-degree murder in the 2019 stabbing death in Everett.

Shots fired Monday afternoon at grocery store in Clearview

There was a large police presence at a Safeway off Highway 99 after gunshots were reported.

Most Read