MONROE — Fires near Maltby Friday night and Monroe Saturday morning destroyed buildings and left one man with burn injuries, according to Snohomish Fire District 7, which sent crews to both blazes.
A shop building south of Snohomish and a barn near Monroe were total losses, said Heather Chadwick, a spokeswoman for the district.
One person was taken to the hospital, she said.
There was a tractor show planned this weekend at the property where the barn caught fire. The 30th anniversary event put on by the Sky Valley Stock and Antique Tractor Club was cancelled, club President Mike Lang said.
On Friday, firefighters were called around 9:40 p.m. to the 22400 block of 119th Ave. SE near Maltby, Chadwick said.
A trailer caught fire inside the shop building. A home on the same property was not damaged, she said. The property owner was burned trying to extinguish the flames. Medics transported him to the hospital.
About eight hours later, crews were called to the site of the tractor show to find the barn on fire in the 19800 block of Tualco Loop Road.
The structure was fully in flames and close to a home when they arrived around 5:30 a.m., Chadwick said.
Firefighters from District 7, with aid from Duvall and Sultan, were able to save the home from any damage, she said.
“It’s so dry right now, it’s easy for it to be able to spread,” Chadwick said. “The fact that the firefighters were able to save the homes was completely amazing.”
One of the antique tractors set up for the festival was lost, she said.
Fire District 7, along with firefighters from Lake Stevens, Duvall, and Sultan battled the fire for 40 minutes using four water-tender trucks.
“The fire marshal said we can still do it, but I don’t want the public around this,” Lang said.
Crews had the fire out within 40 minutes, Chadwick said. No one was hurt.
Both fires are under investigation.