Water going over levees, N. Dakota governor says

MINOT, N.D. — North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple says the Souris River is flowing over most levees in Minot as it surges past a 130-year-old record level.

Dalrymple spoke after a helicopter tour Friday. Water is several feet deep in parts of Minot, where about one-fourth of the population

has been evacuated.

Dalrymple says it will be “nip and tuck” whether a levee protecting a main north-south bridge will be high enough. The levee is higher than nearby rooftops.

The Souris is expected to rise another 6 feet by this weekend. City officials expect to lose thousands of houses and hundreds of businesses.

MINOT, N.D. — Geese and airboats on patrol shared the flooded streets of Minot on Friday as the Souris River thundered toward a record flood, rising so quickly that its progress could be seen inching up the side of homes in the North Dakota city.

The Souris was expected to break a more than century-old record at some point Friday, then go as much as 6 or 7 feet higher over the weekend, fed by heavy rain upstream and water releases from Canadian reservoirs.

North Dakota’s fourth-largest city expected widespread flood damage, and as many as 10,000 residents, about one-fourth of the city’s population, were ordered from their homes earlier this week. Crews focused on protecting critical infrastructure to avoid an expanded evacuation.

“We don’t like to lose,” Capt. Jeff Hoffer, an Army National Guard officer, said during a tour of flooded areas Friday. “This is very disheartening. I feel badly for all the people.”

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service launched four boats on Friday to patrol flooded neighborhoods, ready to respond to 911 calls. City officials said no injuries or incidents had been reported overnight. The evacuation zone was empty except for emergency officials and the geese, who paddled in about 5 feet of water washing down the streets.

George Moe, whose house was about a block from the water’s edge, returned briefly to pick up some keys. Moe said the only thing left in his house was the mounted head of an antelope shot by his wife, who died about three years ago.

Moe, 63, said he had lived in the house for 40 years. He worried about it as well as the shop where he works as a mechanic; it was taking on water and he was unsure he’d have a job after the flood.

“I hate to see something go to hell after 40 years,” he said. “There ain’t much you can do.”

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Thursday accelerated water releases from the upstream Lake Darling dam. In just four days, the predicted release of water from the dam more than doubled — from 11,000 cubic feet per second to 29,000. National Weather Service hydrologist Steve Buan laid the blame on 4 to 6 inches of rain that fell last week in largely rural — and saturated — areas to the north.

With peak water levels expected Saturday or Sunday, Minot officials said they have done everything they can to protect critical infrastructure. Mayor Curt Zimbelman said dikes have been raised as much as possible around the city’s sewer lift station and can’t be raised any higher. The city was confident the water treatment plant was protected.

“We need to hope that they hold,” Zimbelman said.

The city issued a voluntary evacuation notice Thursday to 400 more people in the river valley, although officials said damage to those homes might be no more than water in basements.

City Council President Dean Frantsvog said authorities expect “a large portion of” the 4,400 homes and 200 businesses that have been evacuated “will be inundated.”

In Burlington, a town of about 1,000 people a few miles upstream on the confluence of the Souris and Des Lacs rivers, city officials abandoned sandbagging as hopeless. About a third of 320 houses are expected to be lost in the town that was founded in 1883 and is the oldest in Ward County.

“We’re no longer able to save the city,” Burlington Mayor Jerome Gruenberg said Thursday.

Burlington officials instead sent people to help with a frenzied labor around Minot, a town best known for its Air Force base but also an important agricultural center and home to many laborers drawn to the oil boom in western North Dakota.

Heavy equipment hauled dirt and clay to raise dikes wherever possible — an effort Zimbelman said would continue until rising water made it impossible. Workers and National Guard members were the only people to be seen in evacuated areas.

Fast-flowing water had overtopped dikes in some places and risen to the first level on several homes. A trailer park was under water. In one area, an old Chevy was half-submerged.

Near the water treatment plant, water had risen above a bridge deck; orange barricades blocked any traffic at either end. Loose clothes, beer cans, dark trash bags, a tire and other assorted trash could be seen floating in the Souris, cast off by departing residents.

Kathy Sivertson, 52, who lives a block outside the initial evacuation zone, was opting to ignore the recommendation for expanded evacuations. She spent part of Thursday moving her belongings out of her basement but said she’d stay in her house until “they kick me out.”

Meanwhile, Leon Delker, 55, who lives nine blocks from the river, brought in a survey crew that estimated the water would rise 3 feet on his front door. He planned to remove everything but the American flag in front of his home and “stay out until this thing is over.”

Some residents took refuge on the Souris River Golf Course, where longtime pro Steve Kottsick, 59, pieced together a makeshift 8-hole layout on the flooded course. More than 30 people took their swings on Thursday.

“People are a little down and out,” Kottsick said. “Hopefully it helps them maintain some sense of normality.”

The city’s other 18-hole golf course, the Minot Country Club, lost its clubhouse Thursday.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

An Everett Transit bus drives away from Mall Station on Monday, Dec. 22, 2025, in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Transit releases draft of long-range plan

The document outlines a potential 25% increase in bus service through 2045 if voters approve future 0.3% sales tax increase.

Lake Stevens robotics team 8931R (Arsenic) Colwyn Roberts, Riley Walrod, Corbin Kingston and Chris Rapues with their current robot and awards on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lake Stevens, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lake Stevens robotics team receives world recognition

Team Arsenic took second place at the recent ROBO-BASH in Bellingham, earning fifth place in the world.

Leslie Wall in the Everett Animal Shelter on Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Everett Animal Shelter gets $75k in grants, donations

The funds will help pay for fostering and behavioral interventions for nearly 200 dogs, among other needs.

Everett
One man was injured in Friday morning stabbing

Just before 1 a.m., Everett police responded to a report of a stabbing in the 2600 block of Wetmore Avenue.

x
Paraeducator at 2 Edmonds schools arrested on suspicion of child sex abuse

On Monday, Edmonds police arrested the 46-year-old after a student’s parents found inappropriate messages on their daughter’s phone.

Ray Stephanson outside of his residence on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
A former Everett mayor helped save a man. He didn’t realize he knew him.

Ray Stephanson performed CPR after Matthew Minahan had a heart attack. Minahan had cared for Stephanson’s father as a nurse.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.