By Tom Burke / Herald columnist
Last Tuesday Donald Trump said, “nobody likes me. It can only be my personality;” expressing bewilderment because, he said, Drs. Anthony Fauci and Barbara Birx were “very highly thought of,” but he wasn’t.
Hey, Don; errr Mr. President, it ain’t your personality nobody likes, it’s what you do that nobody likes.
Well, OK, your personality is pretty awful, hateful even, just ask your niece Mary Trump who lays it all out in grim detail in her book, “Too Much and Never Enough.” So yeah, maybe you do have a terrible personality. But that ain’t the point.
The point is: People don’t like what you do:
• The 150,000 dead from your abject failure to combat the coronavirus.
• The fiasco of your testing and contact tracing nonprograms and, before that, your killing incompetence providing personal protective equipment where it was needed.
• Your insistence on “opening” business as 1,000-a-day die.
• Your insistence on “opening” schools putting students, teachers, staff and families at risk of death (because your Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says children do spread the disease); while cancelling your convention in Jacksonville, Florida, because it would put MAGAs and big-money donors at risk of death.
• Your insane advocacy of ingesting beach to “cure” Covid-19.
• Your continued support of hydroxychloroquine after it’s been scientifically debunked by the CDC.
• Your enthusiastic, very public endorsements of Dr. Stella Immanuel who says: hydroxychloroquine cures Covid; dangerous gynecological conditions are the residue of dreams of sexual intercourse with demons (which also causes male impotence, most financial troubles, marital discord and spiritual malaise); masks aren’t necessary; alien DNA is a component of some therapeutic drugs; and government scientists are developing a vaccine to prevent religious faith.
• Your actions overseeing the greatest economic downturn in our history: a 32.9 percent annualized contraction in gross domestic product and 1.43 million new jobless claims.
But wait, there’s more:
• Your failure to safeguard our soldiers, doing nothing as Putin put a bounty on American GIs; then rewarding him by removing 12,000 troops from Germany.
• Your diversion of at least $7 billion from needed Pentagon projects to the wall Mexico was going to pay for.
• Your 2018 use of troops to hype an illusionary immigrant “invasion” just before Congressional elections.
• Your pardoning convicted war criminals over military leader objections.
• Re-calling 1,000 U.S. Military Academy cadets back to West Point so you could give a campaign speech.
• Skipping a WWI anniversary visit of a U.S. doughboy cemetery ‘cause it was “raining;” and ignoring a Veterans Day visit to Arlington Cemetary ‘cause you were “too busy.”
• Alleging traumatic brain-injured U.S. soldier-victims of an Iranian missile strike had “mere headaches,” waiving off their complaints.
• Calling your Joint Chiefs of Staff, “dopes and babies” and “You’re all losers.”
• Dodging Vietnam service because of “bone spurs,” but playing lots of golf.
But that’s not all:
• Putting immigrant kids in cages and splitting up families to deter legal immigration.
• Defying a federal court order compelling full restoration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, telling the Supreme Court to eff-off and rejecting their judicial authority.
• And implementing a Muslim travel ban; “repealing” asylum laws; rejecting refugees, deliberately slowing down legitimate greencard application processing, and establishing a wealth tests for immigration.
Of course people hate how you’ve lied about:
• Building the border wall. Only three miles is new, the rest simply replaces what’s already there. (And Mexico didn’t pay for it, Americans did.)
• “Claiming” you had history’s greatest economy. Ours was better under Ike, LBJ, Clinton and U.S. Grant.
• Saying you enacted the biggest tax cut ever (it wasn’t); denying Russia helped you get elected (it did); trying to extort Ukraine for reelection help (the call wasn’t “perfect”); asking China for help; claiming “tremendous support” in the African-American community (polling says they hate you); Obama spied on your campaign (he didn’t); and it isn’t an IRS audit precluding release of your taxes, it’s what’s in them.
There’s more, but I’m short of space. So, gentle reader, fill in his well-documented despicable actions on these topics: the rule of law; sending federal stormtroopers to cities as an election-year ploy; hiring corrupt cabinet secretaries who have had to resign; gutting environmental laws; denying climate change; stonewalling Congress; firing inspectors general, believing Putin over U.S. intelligence officials; cozying up to dictators; bragging about not failing(?) a cognitive-decline test; and your blatant racism, dictatorial ambitions, and near-total ignorance.
Your latest “Let’s postpone the election” diversion and your evidence-free claim, “2020 will be the most inaccurate and fraudulent” vote in history are pathetic attempts to divert attention from your pandemic and economic disasters. It ain’t working.
So as you sink lower and lower and lower in the polls, and you desperately grasp thinner and thinner straws (like Dr. Immanuel and her demon sex) I can only wish it were Nov. 3 so we can officially affirm, “You were right, nobody likes you.”
Tom Burke’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.