South Korean container carrier says it’s leaving Portland
Published 9:24 pm Tuesday, February 10, 2015
PORTLAND, Ore. — An official with a South Korean shipping company that is the Port of Portland’s largest container carrier confirms that Hanjin Shipping will be terminating its service with the city.
In an email statement, Hanjin’s Mike Radak says the reason is simple: the company “can’t afford the expense of operating” in Portland.
Port spokesman Josh Thomas said Tuesday that Hanjin notified the port and customers it will withdraw services on March 9. Hanjin handles nearly 80 percent of the container volume at the port’s Terminal 6.
Port officials say Hanjin will continue to use rail and truck transportation.
Hanjin has had a presence in Portland since 1993, but the company has been unhappy about the pace of work among longshore workers and announced its intention to withdraw two years ago. Last year it decided to say but said it would review productivity and costs.
