It’s rare to catch one of these “specialty” months until after the fact, but today it’s easy as the weather turns wet and cold: September is Mold Awareness Month.
The observance is sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which states that molds create “toxins that cause asthma, respiratory infections and chronic sinus problems.”
The agency attributes a threefold increase in asthma cases nationally in the past 20 years to mold.
Mold starts its life in a wet or damp area. Twenty-four hours of dampness is enough time for mold to begin to grow. The longer an area remains wet, the more toxic the mold is likely to be.
Other symptoms of exposure to toxic mold can include memory loss, flu-like symptoms, bleeding in the lungs, and difficulty speaking. If you experience any of these, contact your doctor immediately, or call the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at 1-800-232-4636.
Mold can grow behind walls and under floors, above ceiling tiles, or behind shower walls — wherever there are wet materials mold can feed on, such as wood, ceiling tiles or plasterboard. Once mold has been identified, professional remediation is highly recommended. It can regrow if not completely removed.
Local mold removal services
20630 56th Ave. W Suite 10, Lynnwood; 800-351-9563; environix.com
3511 132nd St SW, Lynnwood; 425-742-4046; pristinees.com
Glacier Environmental Services
4416 Russell Rd, Mukilteo; 425-355-2826; glacierenviro.com