Charges: Gold Bar council member had child porn, meth

Brian Diaz, 47, ran unopposed in 2017. He resigned when he was charged with possessing child porn.

GOLD BAR — A Gold Bar City Council member has resigned amid charges that he possessed child pornography and methamphetamine.

In late January, federal investigators raided the home of Brian Diaz, 47. They said a computer at his IP address was caught downloading at least two videos of children being molested.

The kids — one boy and one girl — appeared to be under age 12, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle.

Once federal agents showed up to his door, Diaz reached into a pocket, where he had a concealed gun, the complaint says. He was prevented from reaching into his pocket a second time. Diaz agreed to talk with agents in a recorded interview. He reportedly told investigators he regularly downloaded and viewed videos of children being raped.

Agents documented more videos of girls being sexually abused on Diaz’s computer. One girl looked as young as 3. The videos were downloaded through a peer-to-peer sharing program.

Small amounts of what appeared to be methamphetamine also were recovered, the complaint says.

Diaz reportedly told agents it was in fact meth, and that he used the drug when partying on weekends. The raid was on a Wednesday. It had been about a week since his last council meeting.

Diaz was charged with possessing child pornography. Days after his arrest he was released from federal custody. He was required to surrender his passport and undergo GPS monitoring. His brother signed court papers agreeing to supervise him.

Other court documents show Diaz filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2014. Among his personal property, he listed guns: a Chinese variant of an AK-47, three pistols and another rifle. Other than a DUI in 2010 and traffic infractions, Diaz had no criminal record in Washington.

He ran unopposed for a two-year term on the Gold Bar City Council in 2017. In the voters pamphlet, he did not submit a photo of himself or any details about his platform. All elected positions were uncontested that year in the town of 2,300. Two council members did not file for re-election, but then kept their positions when no one ran for their seat.

Diaz sent a letter resigning from the council at a meeting Feb. 5, citing “circumstances beyond my immediate control.”

The city posted on its website that it’s looking for applicants for the vacant council seat.

Caleb Hutton: 425-339-3454; chutton@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @snocaleb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

COVID-19 updates for parents and guardians

Public Health Essentials! A blog by the Snohomish Health District.

Shouts and joy: After 75 years war’s end still unforgettable

Machias native, author of “Pilchuck Reflections,” was watching a movie in Everett when the news came.

Everett man identified after being stabbed to death in fight

A man reportedly stabbed Sophan Phal, 35, Sunday night near Everett and fled the scene.

Soper Hill roundabout and pedestrian trail work wraps up

Lake Stevens and Marysville worked together on the traffic infrastructure because of nearby development.

Oak Harbor Public Schools decide on plan for fall opening

Conditions which must be met for a combination of in-person education and distance learning.

Police dog nabs, nips man suspected of burgling smoke shops

Monroe police arrested a man after two smoke shops were broken into Monday morning.

Rep. Larsen tours small businesses given federal PPP loans

The congressman said leaders in Washington D.C. continue to negotiate for further COVID-19 relief.

Inslee directs $40 million to aid the undocumented

Approved applicants will receive $1,000. But payments may not be available until October.

Slowdown ahead for port as COVID pummels aerospace industry

The Port of Everett is bracing to suffer as its biggest customer, the Boeing Co., scales back production.

Most Read