Everett pimp sentenced to 21 years for human trafficking

Bernard Gordon, 33, has a long history of sexual violence against women, here and in King County.

Bernard Gordon (Washington State Department of Corrections)

Bernard Gordon (Washington State Department of Corrections)

EVERETT — An Everett pimp with a violent history must serve 21 years behind bars for sex trafficking, a King County judge has ruled.

Bernard Gordon, 33, profited off illicit sex workers in the Seattle area, according to records filed in King County Superior Court in Seattle.

After a trial that lasted five weeks, a jury found Gordon guilty in April of second-degree human trafficking, first- and second-degree promoting prostitution and leading organized crime.

Gordon was arrested in 2019 on Evergreen Way in Everett when he tried to “set up an appointment” with an undercover detective who was “dressed as a prostitute would be, was walking as a prostitute would, and was in an area known for such activity,” according to prosecutors. The Everett man reportedly gave the disguised detective his phone number and asked her to text him later. He then got into a Cadillac with two women inside. Officers pulled over the car. The driver told police that Gordon was her pimp and that he often got violent to keep her working.

Gordon was booked into the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of promoting prostitution. Later that year, his case was transferred to King County, where police learned of other crimes.

Deputy prosecutor Benjamin Gauen described Gordon’s history of violence against women in a nearly 80-page sentencing memorandum filed in court earlier this month.

Gordon targeted vulnerable young women to prostitute for him, according to the prosecutor. His victims were often homeless or addicted to drugs.

“He would find these women literally walking on the street in their own moments of personal crisis,” Gauen wrote. “He provided these victims with attention, the appearance of ‘love,’ drugs, shelter or whatever else they desperately needed. But there was always a steep cost. The victims had to make him money by selling their bodies along Aurora Avenue North.”

Under state guidelines, Gordon faced a range of 20 to 25½ years in prison.

Defense attorney J.T. Hicks asked King County Superior Court Judge Sandra Widlan for a sentence at the low end of the range, arguing the women in the case were “street wise” and had no fear of standing up to Gordon. The defense argued — in a two-page memorandum — that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that Gordon led organized crime, in spite of the verdict.

The prosecutor asked the judge to hand down 22½ years.

Gordon, who had eight prior felony convictions, has spent time in prison before.

In 2009, Gordon was convicted of third-degree rape of a child and luring.

“The pattern of behavior was particularly striking because the defendant targeted his vulnerable victims while they were literally walking down the street, just like the victims in this case,” Gauen wrote.

The defendant was convicted of failing to register as a sex offender in 2011, and he began serving a five-year prison sentence that same month for dealing heroin and cocaine in Thurston County.

Most recently, he served time in prison for trying to persuade a woman to try prostitution in Everett. She got in a fight with her boyfriend in 2017, and when she went outside her apartment, she met two strangers, one of whom was Gordon, according to charging papers. She got in his black Chevrolet. They drove around, and he talked about how much money she could make as a prostitute. He sexually assaulted her while she told him, “No,” the woman told police.

DNA evidence on a condom found at the scene matched Gordon.

After a trial in late 2017, a hung jury could not decide whether he committed rape. Gordon later pleaded guilty to second-degree promoting prostitution and misdemeanor assault in the fourth degree with a sexual motivation. A Snohomish County judge sentenced him to 16 months in prison in December 2017.

Yet again, prosecutors noted, Gordon had found the victim “simply walking down the street.”

Ellen Dennis: 425-339-3486; edennis@heraldnet.com; Twitter: @reporterellen

Talk to us

More in Local News

Photo by Kira Erickson/South Whidbey Record
Freeland resident Kevin Lungren has been commuting to the office using his paddleboard. It's a commute he can do in all seasons and just about any type of weather, except wind.
Whidbey commuter paddleboards his way to work in all seasons

The financial advisor says he’s only fallen off his board twice in the past five years.

Photo by Heather Mayhugh
Stuart Peeples demonstrates how to enter Heather Mayhugh's wheelchair van. In recent months, while navigating the new Mukilteo ferry terminal, Mayhugh has struggled to unload her clients who need access to the restroom.
People with mobility issues find new ferry terminal lacking

Some disabled folks say not enough thought went into improving the Mukilteo facility’s accessibility.

Temporary Lake Stevens Library to open this summer

The location will serve as the Sno-Isle branch until the proposed civic center campus is complete.

$500,000 available for Edmonds nonprofits

Organizations can apply for Edmonds Rescue Plan funds until Aug. 20.

Parts of Snohomish County under weekend heat advisory

Monroe and areas of the county near the Cascades were expected to see highs in the 90s.

Marysville man wins $100,000 in military vaccine lottery

Carmen S., who served in the Vietnam War, claimed his $100,000 cash prize this week.

Tirhas Tesfatsion (GoFundMe) 20210727
State AG says it can’t investigate Lynnwood Jail death

Tirhas Tesfatsion’s family pushed Lynnwood leaders for an independent inquiry. Her death was ruled a suicide.

COVID-19 case reported at crowded Lynnwood council meeting

A person who attended the Monday meeting tested positive for the coronavirus just days later.

Family and friends gather at the waters of the Skykomish River at Eagle Falls in memorial of Devin Shelby Thursday afternoon Index on July 29, 2021. Devin Shelby drowned at Eagle Falls and his body has not been recovered. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
The Skykomish took him. His parents want him to be the last

A year ago, Devin Shelby drowned at Eagle Falls. His body was never found. His family still grieves.

Most Read