Lynnwood teen sentenced for armed robbery at Everett pot store

EVERETT — A Lynnwood boy could spend the rest of this teenage years locked behind bars for an armed robbery at a marijuana dispensary.

A judge on Monday sentenced Garrett Comer to nearly 3½ years in prison for a heist at a south Everett marijuana business. Comer turned 17 last month.

The teen pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery and faced up to 4½ years in prison. He was convicted as an adult, but Comer may be allowed to spend his sentence at a state juvenile lockup.

A second man, Bradford Johnson, 18, also is charged with first-degree robbery in connection with the armed heist. He is scheduled to go to trial in April.

Prosecutors allege that Johnson pointed a gun at a clerk’s face before ordering him to the ground. The Sept. 28 robbery was videotaped by a high-quality surveillance system.

The video shows the two suspects loading up cardboard boxes with multiple jars of marijuana and taking money from the cash register, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Halley Hupp wrote in charging papers. The business estimated that up to $10,000 was taken.

Snohomish County sheriff’s deputies released portions of the surveillance video to media in an attempt to identify the suspects. A woman came forward saying she recognized Comer as one of the robbers.

Detectives attempted to interview him a few days later. Comer’s mother told the teen to “shut the (expletive) up” when he began to offer up information. She asked for a lawyer and Comer was released.

Detectives arrested the teen the next day after viewing his Facebook account. He was making threats to commit another robbery so he could give money to his mom, Hupp wrote.

While sitting in a patrol car Comer told police he held up the marijuana store so he could pay his court fines. He was 16 at the time of the heist.

Johnson was arrested about two weeks later after a witness identified him as the second hold-up man. Detectives were told he is a marijuana dealer and already has sold off the marijuana taken in the robbery, Hupp wrote.

Detectives used social media again and pulled up Johnson’s picture. The photographs matched the man seen in the surveillance video, according to charging papers. The clerk also identified him as the suspected who pointed the gun at him.

Johnson was being held on $500,000 bail.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; Twitter: @dianahefley.

More in Local News

No flashing lights planned for giant Port of Everett cranes

The Port sought public input on making them blue and adding lights or keeping them as they were.

Gun-ammunition bill is suffocated by GOP amendments

It’s Day 40 of 60 of the 2020 session of the Washington Legislature in Olympia.

Edmonds School District leaders plan for another school bond

It won’t be in April, but the district could float another bond proposal in August or November.

Meet the newest Daily Herald reporter, Rachel Riley

In this episode of “Herald Headlines,” Executive Editor Phil O’Connor interviews a new staffer.

Boeing asks that its big state tax break be suspended

The company hopes the move will resolve a trade dispute involving European rival Airbus.

Will Boy Scout bankruptcy sweep abuse cases under the rug?

38 scouting officials in Washington were known to be a danger to kids, including one in Everett.

South Lynnwood Park to get $2.5 million renovation

A new soccer field, covered picnic area and accessibility upgrades are among the improvements.

3 choices: How Swift, light rail should hook up in Shoreline

Do you prefer the 185th street corridor, the Aurora Transit Center or decongestion?

Nation’s first coronavirus patient said to be fully recovered

The Snohomish Health District has released the man from home isolation.

Most Read